Any phone calls yet?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Janedo5513, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has been called yet?

Today was my first day ever for subbing. It went ok. I see where there is room for improvement. They were trying to conduct baseline assessments on the computers so I was actually subbing for the class that was going to have to leave the computer tech class while another class was being tested. BUT.... because the greatness of technology, and it was on a new system, the user id log on the network couldn't work. Instead being sent home, I was helping the Admin with going around to each classroom and verifying the class roster to see if it is currently updated. I enjoyed this because I was able to meet each teacher. I am already called back tomorrow and next week I have four more sub positions.

3. mom2fie

mom2fie Rookie

Sep 1, 2014

No..

Not sure how long it will take! 2nd week of school around here is coming up! One district that I am signed up for using an online scheduler and while I do have internet at home, i feel that I am at a disadvantage because I do not use a smart phone as a lifeline and so I think those who do may be seeing the jobs first?
    I have since made the scheduler my browser's home page and will keep it up all day tomorrow! I am also on the call list.

The other district that I am signed up for is one I worked for last Spring and did get some work, but it took a few weeks! It is managed by one lady. Turns out that I needed to call her and ASK for the work. I did this last week too and all she said was, " I'll keep you in mind." Aggravating!

I will continue to call though to let her know that I do want to work.

Any other advice? Right now, I cannot afford gas to be zooming around to other districts. The pay is so low that it would only pay for the gas to get there!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

Congratulations! It sounds like you made a great impression.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

We haven't even started school here yet!

6. teach02920

teach02920 New Member

Sep 3, 2014

I was lucky I got a semi long term starting first day of school last week. It's only supposed to be two weeks (last day friday) but I'm hearing rumors that the teacher might now come back. I'm a certified teacher so they could technically then hire me ;) Anyways, this is my second year subbing and I was also lucky last year to get a long term the first two months of the school year (covering maternity leave) and then I worked every day of the school year except 21 days. I hope I'll be as lucky this year or get full time hire

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Sep 3, 2014

I've been stalking subfinder. School starts tomorrow, but I've got 5 days lined up right now (one is special ed...I decided if I'm going to try it, I might as well start now...I've worked with special ed kids before and I've taught kids, just not academic stuff...so it's now or never). I've never subbed; tomorrow will be my first day. I'm super nervous!