Any Para's working summer school/summer job?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by ABC123, Jun 6, 2016.

1. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 6, 2016

I will be working 1:1 with a child from our Autistic program for 4 weeks starting July 5th. It'll be Mon -Thurs from 8-1pm with Fridays off!

I am really grateful to have the position because our programs have really gotten smaller, fewer children, fewer staff needed so this is really a big relief for me to have gotten this position and the steady income until early August.

This program pays well, my paychecks will actually be bigger in the summer than they are during the school year :)

I also have a part time job I do from home, year round.

Anyone else working this summer?

3. LishaGisha

LishaGisha Rookie

Jun 7, 2016

I am actually teaching summer school and just like you, will be making more in the summer than during the school year. I'm teaching "Extended Academics" which is basically an extra hour that combines Reading and Math for those children who are REQUIRED to attend summer school and for those who choose not to participate in the Karate course being offered. Several of my students are students I work with during the year (I'm the SPED para) so it's been wonderful so far. I end up with two weeks off before summerschool and two weeks after, which is perfect for me because any more than that and I'd go nuts!

4. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 7, 2016

We are done next week!!!! I am also going to have some time off before we start summer school, since we don't begin until after 4th of July:D

I am so glad about that because we have had years where we've had so much snow that we would still be in school until the last week in June making up the days and then start summer school 1 week later!!!! So glad that isn't the case anymore. We also don't go back until September 1st so there's a nice break after as well.

Time off is great, but I agree if I didn't work summer school I would have like 12 weeks off..I would be spending money THAT I DON'T HAVE or having to stay home a lot because I spent everything I had saved in the first few weeks..lol:rolleyes: I can see that happening, since summer school IS my summer money!

5. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 25, 2016

Anyone start summer school or their summer job yet?

I still have a little more than a week off (9 days) and then we start ESY July 5th!! I am actually looking forward to it..i will have a month off after summer school, so by then I will want more time off again:D