Any Other Ideas for a Suvivor Theme?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by marysunshine8, Aug 4, 2005.

1. marysunshine8

marysunshine8 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

In trying not to come up with something that was too "babyish" for my sixth graders, I have decided to use a Survivor theme in my classroom. Here is what I have come up with so far:

*sit the students in groups of four (tribes) and allow them to come up with their own tribe name and create a tribal flag to hang above their desks

*hold class meetings on Fridays called "Tribal Council" to discuss classroom issues/needs

*Survivor bulletin board where the students stay in the game by answering questions pertaining to the subject matter they are learning correctly - students then earn "money" in the behavior management system my team uses

*Leading up to my classroom, I want the phrase, "You've made it this far, but can you SURVIVE?"

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially in terms of decorations, etc.

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 4, 2005

when they earn money, are you going to do a luxury competition? Let them bid on items up for auction in your class store, or maybe for a movie time, I remember our 6th grade teacher did this, it cost so much to get in the movie, so much if you wanted popcorn, so much if you wanted to use a huge pillow to lay on. You could add different things for them to spend the reward money on after they save for a while. The ones who didn't earn enough money to get in the movie had to go some where else to do homework, or other assignments they have past due. Don't forget to let them do something alone, perhaps the winner of a spell-off could earn personal imunity, (no homework for a day). You could do a scavenger hunt, the teams could use clues that would lead them to a treasure chest, special pencils, erasers, note pads or a food reward, (rice crispie treats or cup cakes). I hope you can use some of these ideas for your survivor theme, I think you will have fun with it!