Any other "High demand" teachers without a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by drapes330, Jun 9, 2008.

1. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Jun 9, 2008

I am a special ed certified beginning teacher looking for my first job. For months all I have heard is "Oh, you're special ed, you'll get a job no problem." I've applied for at least 12 open positions without hearing back from anyone. I can't help having this recurring nightmare fantasy that I end up being the only "high demand" teacher from my school not getting a job. Anyone else in a similar position?

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 9, 2008

You're not alone. I'm Mild to Moderate Educational Needs (Special Ed. K-12) and no luck thus far. I've had one interview, and didn't get the job.

But, hey, its early yet. I don't even offically graduate with the old Masters until Friday. I'm sure we'll all have prime jobs come August. :) (I hope.)

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 9, 2008

I just started applying no jobs some interviews but none of my online applications have called me back yet! :eek:

I spoke to LAUSD and it seems like a lot of leg work to get an interview at the schools and who knows about the price of gas. ...

5. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Bilingual Elem Ed....No job yet. Went to a job fair and most of the schools didn't have openings...they have "anticipated" openings...

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jun 9, 2008

I actually speak 3 languages fluently and am able to work with a minority group with basic understanding of a fourth. It took 16 applications, 9 interviews, being short listed for 2 other positions and a meeting about a job I didn't even apply for before I found work.

7. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jun 10, 2008

drapes, where are you located? That surprises me. I remember last year the school I interned at had 100+ applicants for a 1st grade position and 2 applicants for the special ed position. It is still early, though, I'm sure you will hear something in the next month or so! Many districts may still be working on their budget - I know my home district is struggling with that now. Good luck to you!

8. teachermommy

teachermommy Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

I am SPED. In my area I am not as needed as I thought. I think it just depends on where you are. I too hear, oh you'll get something. Well last year I got a LTS and so far this year I've had interviews, but nothing has come from it so far.
    Keep trying!

9. ecteacher

ecteacher Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

Same problem here. I had an interview but then the district decided they weren't hiring (economics problems, etc.).
    I am getting pretty disheartened myself. I was told that special education teachers would have no problem finding work, and it appears now that it's next to impossible to find work where I'm at.

10. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 12, 2008

Too bad you don't live in Louisiana. There are so many SPED jobs available. I am having the opposite problem as you are. I am certified PK-3 and there are no jobs available in the two districts I applied to. I have gone on 2 interviews but someone more experienced got the job both times. I just graduated in May and did not know it would be this difficult. Every time I get my hopes up, I get let down so it is starting to get to me. I hope your luck changes.