Any other dog owners deal with these issues?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Oct 27, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

My main concerns are:

I just got back with my dog from the groomer's and realized he has some things to work on!

1. He resists going into his crate when I have to drive him somewhere so instead of continuing to gently set him in there, I ended up having him on my lap while I drove and I didn't want that for our safety but didnt have anyone else here to help me load him in the crate. He kept going to me like a magnet! :lol:
    He doesn't go in the crate often so that's prob part of the problem because I let him sit on my lap when my husband drives somewhere (usually somewhere nearby like a park).

2. He still gets into papers or small things that he can find for negative attention since it seems to only happen when we're around. Usually he'll find something when I'm on the phone. I play with him and walk him so I don't know why he still thinks it's fun when I'm saying "drop it" "leave it" because it's not funny to me!

We're probably going to hire someone but wanted to see if there are some things to try first that helped your dog. :) Thank you in advance.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 27, 2009

Sounds like normal puppy behavior - how old is your dog?

We keep the crate in the kitchen and our dog has always used it as her bed. She likes it. You might try making it attractive indoors with a nice blanket and train your dog to go in by holding a treat in through the holes at the back end! Doggie goes in, gets treat, told to stay, gets another treat. After a couple minutes, tell him to come, give another treat. Associate the crate with a reward.

He will always prefer your lap to the crate, but it is sooo dangerous to drive with a dog loose in the car. With my dog it is dangerous!

Our dog had a long puppyhood and we had to babyproof our house. Just not leave anything at all where she could get it because she would eat it, and it was always bad. They smarten up with training - scold for getting into things, etc. But we really had to treat her like a 2 year old child for the longest time because she just could not resist fun stuff!!

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 27, 2009

I have a VestHarness for my dog and I love it. It acts as a harness and a seat belt. This way she can see out the window and be right next to me but also restrained. She wears the harness out on walks also.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 27, 2009

That sounds like a great idea!

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 27, 2009

Our dog (almost 2) spends a lot of time in his crate. He sleeps in his crate and spends the day in it while we're at work. He didn't use to like it, but with time he's grown attached to it. When he has to go in his kennel when we leave we give him a few treats and a toy with treats in it (something to preoccupy him while we're gone). He goes right in! :) He's definitely grown attached to his kennel. He'll put himself to bed around 10 every night-- going in and laying on his bed and go to sleep.

The getting into small stuff sounds like typical puppy behavior. (Jack cannot be left out of his kennel when we're gone because he gets into too much trouble.) Try getting a toy that he has to work with. I love Premier Busy Buddy and Waggle toys. We stick a Milkbone in each end of the Waggle. It takes Jack 15-30 minutes to get them out. Sometimes they need to use their noggins and exert some energy by themselves.
    http://www.amazon.com/Premier-BB-WAG-Waggle-Medium/dp/B0002I0RTY

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2009

I've mentioned this before on this board & even posted a picture, but I have a dog carseat...had it since day 1. My dog sits very nicely & comfortably in it. Here's the picture:

[​IMG]

Regarding the issue of getting into paper, my dog (who's a full adult BTW) would still do that if I have paper towels, toilet tissue, papers, etc. where he can reach them, but I never have a reason for those items to be at his reach, so I don't have any problems w/ that. But dogs of all ages do love to get into papers & rip them up!

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 27, 2009

With the crate my trainer told me to have them get in and out over and over, times when you aren't even going to go anywhere. Get in here's a treat, get out-here's a treat-good girl-like 5 times and then a few hours later do it again. Crate becomes a good thing. I think you have to be consistent-if you're going to use the crate, then use it all the time. Of course, they are going to try for a lap and if that's an option.

The papers, I would say just make sure she's got plenty to keep her busy-a hard bone, toys she can play with herself. It's just like with the kids-but the dogs can't say Mom come play with me.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 27, 2009

My dog could have 10 toys right in front of him and if I drop a piece of paper he snatches it right up! He is usually good but sometimes he is just so naughty!

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

Awww, Yoshi is so cute and I can tell he's well loved!

Is he strapped in or loose in that seat? I can't tell...

I really want my dog to just go in the crate when we go somewhere but I haven't a need to have him in the car that much and lately when we have gone somewhere he's resisted so I have him on my lap. I really don't want him on my lap whether I'm the driver or passenger for obvious reasons.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2009

Thanks! :) Yes, we do spoil him around here! He's strapped. There's a strap in the back of the carseat that attaches to his collar.

BTW, this pic just happened to be taken around Halloween 2-3 yrs ago, which is why you see the orange & blk bow on him. Petsmart gave him that when I took him to get his nails trimmed once.

12. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 27, 2009

Give your dog a treat every time he/she goes into the kennel. He needs to associate the kennel with good things like treats. It'll take some time, but eventually they love the kennel!

When we say, "Get in your kennel," Smithers will run into his kennel so fast he runs into the back of it and almost tips it over! He loves it!