Any of you teachers get visits from former students?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by pastdweller, Oct 28, 2006.

1. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 28, 2006

I visit all of my old schools(elementary, middle, and high). Do any of you teachers get visits from former students?

3. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Oct 28, 2006

Yes, I do. I teach at a private school and every once in a while the 7th and 8th graders I taught before come and visit me. It's a pleasant surprise. =]

4. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Oct 28, 2006

I get visits and occasionally run into former students. It's nice especially when they let you know that you made a difference in their lives.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 28, 2006

It's pretty common for me to see former students. Sometimes they come back to school and stop in to visit, and other times I run into them in the community. And I, gulp, even have the child of a former student this year.

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 28, 2006

I love it when my former students stop by my home to visit. I tutor them, and I proofread their papers, and we talk about music and college and sometimes high school. . . They have to call first, but I'm always happy to see them. I'm no longer teaching in the middle school where I had them in class, but when I was still there, students stopped by after school all the time until the administration decided to forbid their visits. I get emails and blog comments from my former students all the time. I even kept my old middle school website up, because students are still using many of the links that are on there.

See? Maybe I ain't so horrible strict as some of you thought!!!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2006

Seems like you're just a softy deep down inside :D . These are the times when you really know and recognize the difference you make!

8. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 28, 2006

Do any of you who get visits from former students get donations of stuff to use in your classroom(books for a classroom library, games for indoor recess, etc.)?

9. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Oct 28, 2006

I taught high school last year, and am at a middle school this year. Some of my kids from last year will drop by in the afternoons to say hello and bring me pictures, etc. (They check in just like any other visitor, for safety.) My current students love to see the high school kids come in & sit down to listen to me teach. They figure that if I'm good enough for the "cool" older kids to come listen to without having to, then they should listen, too!

10. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 29, 2006

When some of you get visits from former students, do you ever notice that some of them look different, such as male students come back with facial hair which they did not have when they had you, and female students come back with fingernail polish which they did not wear when they had you?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2006

I teach in a fairly conservative Catholic Jr/Sr High school. That's pretty much a given, since the guys can't have facial hair while in attendance. The girls' hair should be a "color found in nature", so it's pretty funny to see the colors they return with :)

The best is those who come back and don't leave-- they join our faculty 4 years after graduating. There are currently 2 members of my department who were last seen in my Precalculus class:D

12. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 29, 2006

I had a student from last year pop in to my house unexpectedly, but considering she's only six, she hasn't changed much!

I do admit to visiting my old teachers though!:D I go to my nursery teacher at least once a month for advice with my own teaching, to show her pictures...but I don't usually end up donating to her-it's she who donates to me!:p

13. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Nov 1, 2006

I taught a lovely girl in grade 3 many years ago - now she is a colleague in my school, fully qualified and married to boot.

Sometimes I feel so old! :) (and I am still in my 30s).

14. bernie

bernie Rookie

Nov 3, 2006

Luckily, the middle school where most of my former students go is close to my elementary school, so I do get quite a few who drop by at some point and say hello. I also get a lot of younger siblings of former students, and their older brothers and sisters sometimes tag along during parent-teacher conference week (which ended today) so sometimes I see them then as well. I also bump into former students who are now in high school at lunch time when I step out to get a bite on a nearby street where many of them also go for lunch.

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 3, 2006

Two of my former middle school students, who are now sophomores in high school, dropped by my house last Tuesday to chew the fat. One of them cleaned out all the crud in my computer files for me, and the other one brought her original poems for me to read. I always loved it when my students trusted me to read their poetry; their REAL stuff, you know, not that standard classroom assigned pap.

I told them that the next time they dropped by, they could sand and paint my front door. They said they would.

This could develop into something pretty good.