Any of you properly ignore your school communications this break?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Backroads, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 30, 2020

Technically, I did not. I actually responded to one email after reading it and then ignoring it for four days because it occurred to me they're just trying to catch up over break.

But I've heard so many horror stories that I did "peek" to see if I'm being communicated at. So far four emails and a novel-length text on my gotoconnect line.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 30, 2020

I made the mistake of checking Seesaw. A parent had messaged me asking if I would post work for her kid because “she’s bored.”

Like... your kid never shows up for class and barely does the work I give her on a normal day. If she’s bored she can get on Zearn. I’m on break.

creativemonster, mrsf70 and Backroads like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 30, 2020

I don't get the attitude.

1. It's winter break. Boredom is the parents' problem and only if they accept the problem. I'm still in post-Christmas slump. Binge TV and play with your new tablet, kids, I don't care.

2. Technology. It's so easy to find educational freebies. You really don't need the teacher.

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 30, 2020

I’ve genuinely tried I did. But I couldn’t ignore it when P called me because a pipe burst at school.

Backroads likes this.
  6. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Dec 30, 2020

Before the break I sent out a detailed email to let parents know about expectations, missing assignments, upcoming quiz, test...

I ignored all coming emails from those who did not show up in class, brarely did work during school days. Why did not you follow teacher’s directions? You cannot take away your teacher’s break. During class, you played game, watched film, listened to music...did not pay attention...you just showed up for attendance purposes. Parents knew that but did not even care. So how can you make up work during the break if you don’t understand the lessons? You are learning for grades not for knowledge. I will respond to those I feel they actually want to learn.

mrsf70 and Backroads like this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 30, 2020

The week before break I got everything ready for next week. It’s all set to autopost Monday morning. I put a vacation autoreply on my school email and forgot about it. I don’t have notifications set up on my phone or iPad, so I didn’t even have to worry about being haunted by the notification.

I did, however, peek into classroom today to see if kids had turned in any late work. I didn’t grade it. Just wanted to see. I also emailed the school nurse about my Covid vaccine requests from my allergist, my district sub coordinator, and my principal because I’m taking full medical leave starting Monday. I didn’t want to surprise everyone Monday by just not showing up.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2020

I usually am very good about not checking emails over breaks. This time I felt like I had no choice because at the beginning of break, we had no definite plan for January. "Depending on numbers" we were either going back Jan. 11th or Jan 19th to in person learning. As I suspected, we're going back on the 11th. As I suspected, they've changed the metrics and basically made it impossible for schools to close again. I mean, I guess technically I could have waited until next week, but the not knowing is worse for me. I'd rather know what's going on. And today, there was a sign up form in there from the district to get the vaccine. I'm definitely glad I saw that, and I filled mine out right away.

I did get one parent email in response to me sending out the child's IEP progress report. I ignored it, but I can't help feeling a tiny bit guilty that she will wait over 2 weeks for a response. I know I'm on break and I shouldn't feel one bit guilty, but it just seems like a long time. I really need to start putting on an out of office reply for breaks so that at least people know they're not getting a response.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2020

I have been reading emails from the district and my principal. When we left school on December 18th, we had been told to take home what we needed "in case" we switched to remote after the break (we have been face-to-face since school started in September). On the 22nd, the province announced that we would be teaching remotely from January 4 - 8. There are many, many questions about how this is going to roll out and, for my well-being, I need answers sooner rather than later.
    That said, I will not be sending any communication to parents and students until late in the day on Sunday. They have had emails from the school and the school board; they know that the schools will not be open for face-to-face students next week.

Backroads likes this.
  10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 1, 2021

I closed my laptop at 3:00 on Dec. 18, left it in my table, and walked out of the building. I have not checked email, done a single lesson plan (all plans done prior to the 18), or checked Google Classroom. I also turned off my Remind alerts. It has been glorious. I am teaching virtually this year for parents who chose that option, and it has, by far, been my most challenging year. I worked an average of 60 hours a week for the first semester just to keep my head above water. I have earned my break, and I feel zero guilt about enjoying it.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 2, 2021

It was a pleasure to turn off all school apps on my phone. I checked Remind once just to make sure there weren't any weird student emergencies. Nope, just kiddos who wanted to wish me a good holiday. I can handle that!

Backroads likes this.
  12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 4, 2021

I remember telling my mom I was bored ONE time. She had me stripping and waxing floors for ages! That word still to this day is never in my head. I always find ways to entertain myself! It is maddening though that the kid seldom does their work. Maybe you could tell mom that she should take the work she hasn't done and do it now.

Backroads likes this.
  13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 4, 2021

I answered one parent email on Sunday. It wasn't related to grades or course work or anything so I didn't mind answering.

Backroads likes this.
  14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2021

I turned off the notifications on my phone for my email. I am however checking it once a day just to make sure that there aren't any earth shattering emails that require me to answer them. There have not been any so far. My communication app was still on but I didn't realize it until this morning when a parent texted me to see when school started back up. (we still have another week) I told my parents I would not be in communication until next January 10. I have done nothing for school until today when I started working on a PD that I have been neglecting all year. It's a year long thing that we do at our own pace, so I am trying to "catch" up. I have a work day next Monday so my I will work on putting my plans that I have all ready written out into our electronic form then. Looking at our Covid numbers for the last three weeks (that have been reported to the school )we will go back to F2F after the 3 weeks after Thanksgiving were remote. We have very little numbers in our staff and students.

15. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jan 11, 2021

No calls, no emails. I ignore them all on school breaks.