Any news from Disney?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by fast chalk, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

I will thanks.

I've only been to FL in the summer-- we were there last year just before the arrival of TS Faye.

I've already ordered 2 cases of water to be delivered to our room at the Polynesian, and we each have a mister fan all set to go.

2. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

Don't forget those ponchos. It rained on me several times when I was there last week. So the heat wasn't bad because of the cloud cover, but still crazy-humid! Incredible lightning storms, too!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

Got them. And I picked up 15 for my sister's family of 5 as well-- she's going down July 30 and our trips overlap by a day and a half.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

Don't mention TS Faye. she ruined 5 boxes of teaching materials and effectively canceled an planned Epcot trip.

(contemplating lunch at VB Disney resort on next day off to make up for the pain, anguish, etc)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

Ouch.. sorry.

She gave us the BEST day at Disney!!! The parks opened an hour early, anticipating an early closure. We were there at 7:45, and went right in when they opened at 8.

We had the Magic Kingdom to ourselves all day long! Honest, we walked right on rides, from Peter Pan to Indy Speedway (3 times!!) to Dumbo-- it was phenomenal!!!

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

LOL, Alice - don't worry! I've been through enough storms to know that Disney is a GREAT place to be while everyone else in the state is hiding & freaking out!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

Just because it's been such a great day

I went to the Disney site for a while. Someone there posted that the Magic of Steam Trains tour (remember, the one I got for Brian and Peter as a birthday/ Father's Day gift) has been discontinued until the fall after the monorail accident the other day. I certainly understand Disney's reasoning, but want to replace the tour with another.

I'm assuming that maybe Disney will relax the rules some tours have about needing to be a guest at a particular resort (mostly Animal Kingdom Lodge for their tours)

Given the fact that Brian is 11 (and that they probably won't relax the age rules)-- has anyone done any of the tours? If money were no object (yeah, right. But let's pretend)-- which tour would you recommend?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

Someone on the Disney site posted a program run by Southwest... it may save someone some money!

http://www.southwestvacations.com/specials/detail.asp?xmlFile=FS0428&CMPID=AFC-CJA&Referrer=S27

There are lots of details, but here's the gist of it:

"Friends Fly and Play FREE* at the Walt Disney World® Resort
    Every second person Flies and Plays FREE, a Southwest Airlines Vacations Exclusive!

Come celebrate life’s special moments at the Walt Disney World® Resort with our exclusive Friends Fly & Play FREE offer!

Book: 7/10 - 8/6/09 by 6:00 p.m. CST
    Travel: 7/13 - 12/15/09 (Friends Fly Free blackout dates 11/24 - 12/1/09)
    Five-day advance purchase required.
    FLY FREE: Every second person flies FREE when you book a flight + hotel package

•Valid for travel Monday - Thursday.
    •If any part of the trip occurs on a day other than Monday - Thursday, that part of the trip is not eligible for the Friends Fly Free discount.
    •Additional taxes, fees, and exclusions apply

PLAY FREE: Every second person plays FREE when you book a flight + Disney Resort Hotel, and Magic Your Way Ticket
    •Every person on the reservation must purchase the same Magic Your Way Ticket. Offer is not valid on the Magic Your Way Ticket with No Expiration Option.
    •Magic Your Way Ticket with Park Hopper® Option will automatically be put in your cart prior to checkout.
    •Offer only valid when staying at Walt Disney World® Resort Hotel room categories that say "Disney Friends Free Ticket" in bold red text.
    •During the booking process, select “Upgrade Room” to view "Disney Friends Free Ticket" room categories.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

Alice, what do you know about the Caribbean Resort? I checked out that site and we can fly R/T from LA to Orlando, with four nights at the hotel in a king room, a three-day Park Hopper pass, and airport transfers, for $1500. I wonder if DH will go for it? We haven't been to DW since DD was 12, and she's going to be 22 in a couple of weeks. This time it would just be the two of us.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

This is where we want to stay when we go in 3 years. I stayed there when I was a teenager as well and loved the theme...made me feel like I was in the tropics.:haha: Hubby and I wont get our tropical vacation we've always wanted until the kiddos are out of the house...oh, in 16 years :haha:, so that is the next best thing.

Did you use the trollies to get to the theme parks? That was so convenient, I remember.

For anyone who would be so kind to help me out, I am wondering when the best time of year is to go. We are planning on going when my youngest is almost 5 years old...in about 2-3 years. I want to go when the weather is at it's best though and want to avoid "hurricane season" if possible...but I've been told it's hurricane season most of the year. :lol:

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

See, I thought that resort look really neat too, but then I realized it looks just like Wisconsin. :haha:So, I need something that looks different than what I'm use to. :lol:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

PM Tracy!!! She was just there and can tell you all about it!!

And take a look here:
    http://allears.net/acc/faq_hot.htm

Go down the left column to the "fact sheet" and photos.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

Jen, someone from FL can help me out here, but I'm pretty sure that hurricane season goes from June 1 till December 1-- the warmest part of the year.

Disney frequently offers Free Dining at the end of August, during Value Season. So, if your school schedule allows it, you can get quite a bargain.

The tradeoff, of course, is that it's Florida in August.

And hurricane season isn't a big deal. Get trip insurance, but don't sweat it. Hurricanes aren't like tornadoes or earthquakes; you can see them days in advance and prepare. Lots of FL residents head for Disney when there's a big storm coming; it's inland and well fortified.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

Yep, Alice is right - June 1 - Nov. 30, although they *can* form anytime. Any place in the middle of the state is a good place to be - the storm has weakened by the time it gets there.

(Plus, the lines are shorter at Disney when there's a storm coming!)

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

Alice, this was DH's reaction: "Why don't we just drive to Disneyland?"

He's not at all enthusiastic about FL. He grew up there, and he feels we've "done" Disneyworld and Epcot.

So, so vacation for us! I'll bet he wouldn't mind a weekend in Vegas...

16. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

Yep, we just got back from there on June 20th. It was great! It's a larger complex of buildings and they don't have elevators. But, they do have a little fridge in the room which I found very helpfu. I called and requested a first floor room since they don't have elevators, and had no problems.

The rooms are really nice, rather large, and it was VERY quiet. Each group of 2 or 3 buildings has it's own pool, and then there's a much larger, mini water park of sorts near the main building. It was just a short walk from our room, and we spent lots of time there. I loved it. My only regret is that we didn't hang out at the pool a bit more when we were there. They had some really awesome hammocks too that we spent quite a bit of time in!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

17. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

Let me tell u that w all these posts MY MIND IS IN DISNEY right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!

18. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

Thanks - it sounds great, but, see DH's reaction posted above. :(

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

So, how is Florida around March/April??? It's super rainy here in Wisconsin, so I assumed it was like that everywhere. :lol:

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

Rainy season begins around the middle of April and continues until mid October. But we have a saying down here - if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!

Temp. wise, it would be an excellent time to visit - it'll be in the high 70s - low 80s. Very nice theme park weather!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

YYAAYY!!! Our documents are in. Peter will stop by AAA on his way home today and pick them up.

I called yesterday and left a voicemail for a ride to JFK.. a friend of a friend does it on the side. Last year he was great-- a nice roomy van, on time, and a really nice guy to boot! We called him when our flight landed; by the time we picked up our baggage, he was waiting outside.