Any New Buzzwords?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

I thought it was funny. We are now being told to call graphic organizers "advanced organizers". Workbooks are "worktexts". And the new one that I kept hearing over and over in trainings this summer is "frontloading"-which always makes me think of a washing machine! It is used to reference pre-teaching things like vocab, activating schema.

Any new ones in your school/district? I'm always curious to see what they can come up with! ;)

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2014

"Unpacking" was one that came up in grad school a lot. It's kind of amusing; like "explaining" isn't good enough.

4. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

My school refers to all students as scholars. "Parents, please pick up your scholars from the parking lot."

5. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

Staffulty...Staff and Faculty...just Ew.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

I interpret 'unpacking' as more than 'explaining'.:2cents:

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 24, 2014

Graphic organizers called "thinking maps"

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

I do too. The teacher "unpacks" the material - material a child can often simply explain on their own.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

Also, few of these terms are new; I've heard "frontloading," "unpacking," "working texts," "thinking maps," for years.

My point being that all of these terms are basically recycled and come in and out of fashion. They always mean the same thing or simply represent a new name for an old method/initiative. When I hear these new terms, I think to myself, "who do they think they are fooling?" This is the same-old, same-old with a shiny new packaging.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 24, 2014

I have spent enough time "unpacking" to last a lifetime. My district uses the same cheesy words at all of our trainings. We always joke before district PD days that we already know we will "unpack standards while marinating in new knowledge that will assist us on our journey." Unpacking, marinating, and journey are some of their favorite words.

Also, we call workbooks "interactive texts." lol! I used to hear frontloading used a lot but haven't heard it in a couple of years. Backwards design is just now coming back into fashion in my district also.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

If I could go the rest of my life without needing to "unpack" a standard, I'd be happy. For goodness sake, those stupid standards are never anywhere near as difficult to understand as people seem to think they are.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2014

Agreed.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2014

So true! All this anxiety created over unpacking the standards for what? They're really not that difficult to understand. A few teachers at my school are really overwhelmed because of the hype and they can't wrap their heads around HOW to teach them. :(

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

I had PD with our tech guy today and learned that we will be referring to our chromebooks as a "digital toolkit" but every time he tried to say it, it came out all mixed up.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

Nothing worse than going to PDs led by people who seem to have little "expertise" on what they are supposed to be teaching us. It's like they only learned the topic last night.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

Interesting! How long have you been teaching otterpop? I ask because I chuckled when I heard "thinking maps" being referred as the new buzzword "graphic organizers!" lol

I grew up with "thinking maps" and still call them that to this day. My younger colleagues refer to them as graphic organizers, as that is what they were called in their education courses within the last couple of years. I'm told I'm outdated with my terminology :)

It must be a regional thing.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

One that was big about five years ago was "lens." As in, we need to look through the lens of a troubled young teen. Or, "through the lens of the educator the day looks like this..."

I guess "viewpoint" is passe'. @@

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

We've been frontloading for years... the new craze is 'universal design'. I'm still not totally sure what that means but so far it hasn't affected my planning or teaching.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

Thinking maps are a specific kind of graphic organizer. The kids make the bubble map, etc. and then use a frame of reference to show their thinking. A Venn diagram for example is not a true thinking map.

20. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 25, 2014

That's very close to "freeloading," which is what these people who get paid to come up with this junk should be categorized as. :)

(I often wonder if the crowd that made money off of "Out-come based education" - and forced it on districts..."If you don't do out-come based education, you're NOT very trendy!" - ever got sued for screwing up an entire generation's education?)

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

My co-workers and I always joke that everyone wants to work for the BofEd teaching PD (although we are not kidding).

Most of the people that lead PDs taught for just long enough to get tenured, then bolted from the classroom for a job at the BofEd. They get paid more than teachers (although it is a 12 month position) and these positions are highly coveted but hard to get.

22. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2014

Unpacking and frontloading aren't new here either. I guess I would have to say "close reading" not sure how new it is but it's all anyone can talk about at my school.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 25, 2014

Yep. http://thinkingmaps.com/ My former school used Thinking Maps.

I've always heard the term frontloading, usually in relation to teaching ELs.

24. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 25, 2014

We talked about close reading all last year too...another thing I am very tired of! It felt like we had 2234829 PD sessions on it, and it's not like it's a difficult concept.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2014

Those who call workbooks "interactive texts"--are they truly interactive texts?

I ask because our science books are like that...the kids write in them, the pages have the lesson text, but also questions, activities, charts to fill in, etc.

Our math workbooks, on the other hand, are definitely still workbooks...just a page of exercises. :)

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

I've heard 'frontloading' 4 years ago, and the way it was used I felt like I should have had known that all along.
    I just came from a Common Core training, and it was all about 'essential questions'.

27. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2014

Sadly, I think Universal Design is knowing how and what you will need to assess before planning the lesson to teach it...:whistle: ummm.....how else would you teach something? Is this what backward design is too?

28. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2014

Close Reading should be akin to beating a dead horse with a stick! Both are very boring! :( When I first did a close read, I felt SOOOO bad for my students. After a while, they started to understand what was required during a close read and even better, why. I'm so glad my new class will already have been doing close reads and we can pick it up from where they left off. It isn't a difficult concept but it does take talent to get all students to buy into it because it can be extremely tedious.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2014

WindyCityGal, I think your sense of Universal Design is more nearly true of backward design, which is determining what one wants one's pedagogical outcomes to be and then designing instruction to deliver those outcomes. Universal Design is - if I may be forgiven the pun - frontloading one's differentiation: anticipating that one will need to ensure that one's teaching accommodates students from below basic to advanced, and planning accordingly (as distinct from assuming that one needn't differentiate until a student with needs shows up).

30. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

If you interview in my district you better be prepared to drop "design thinking", "problem-based learning", and "complex instruction".

31. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2014

:eek: so Universal Design is planning differentiation of process and product.

32. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

Oh! I almost forgot -- Standards-Based Grading!!!

33. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

That response was filled with so many buzzwords, that I am not sure I understand a word of it. This is what happens when you don't attend PD meeting for five years due to lack of a full time job :(

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2014

(Insert here TeacherGroupie as the very picture of melodrama: "'Filled with so many buzzwords'?? MY response??? I am desolated, I tell you, DESOLATED!")

35. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

:hugs::lol::eek: Okay, so maybe not buzzwords, but those big teacher smart people words that you forget when you aren't doing PD all the time.

Feel better?:rolleyes:

36. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

I haven't heard any buzzwords from my school yet (orientation doesn't start until Aug. 11th) but my program was obsessed with "scaffolding" and "democratic learning."

We would make a game out of it in class by tallying each time they said it during a session. When they reached double digits multiple times we decided they were getting extra pay every time they said them.

37. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2014

:toofunny:

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2014

Yes'm, thanks. Can we share an eyeroll about buzzwords for the sake of buzzwords?

39. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

Honestly the first time I was told we would be "Unpacking the standards and curriculum" I thought we were literally going to be unpacking our new materials and doing inventory. Most of us did and we were excited to be get a day off (even if it was manual labor) from boring PDs. :|

40. WindyCityGal606

Jul 26, 2014

Ahhh....wouldn't it be special if THEY actually gave us the curriculum aligned to the standards ready made??? Afterall, isn't that what people in curriculum and instruction SHOULD be doing for us? When did we have to start doing their job too???? I am not a curriculum writer and I have always resented having to do work I am not trained to do. :(

41. WindyCityGal606

Jul 26, 2014

haha...:dizzy: Good...it's NOT me! Because....I felt really stupid trying to comprehend that response...must be my summer brain in action. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.