Any "Must Read" Books?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Zanadu, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Jan 28, 2007

Can anyone suggest some "must read" books for upcoming teachers? I've gotten The First Days of School by the Wongs and The Essential 55 by Clark. I'd like to read more on Differentiated Learning. Are there any good ones out there? It's difficult being so far from a decent bookstore. I get confused by the sheer variety on Amazon. Any suggestions?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

This one is a quick read and very helpful:

Seven Simple Secrets, What the Best Teachers Know and Do! by Annette Breaux and Todd Whitaker.

We were asked to read this one by admin. It also looks wonderful:

Real Teachers, Real Challenges, Real Solutions; 25 Ways to Handle the Challenges of the Classroom Effectively by Annette Breaux and Elizabeth Breaux.

Both published by Eye On Education.

4. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 28, 2007

I'm currently reading Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students by Kathleen Cushman.

So far, it's very intriguing...I'll update after I have finished it!:)

5. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jan 28, 2007

Fair Isn't Always Equal by Rick Wormeli
    We just did a book club with this book and it addresses so many important educational issues. I saw him speak at a conference...amazing.

6. srh

srh Devotee

Jan 28, 2007

Carol Ann Tomlinson is my personal guru on this subject. She just retired as Chancellor of one of our University of California campuses. Awesome, awesome stuff. Google her name to get even more titles. Here are two great ones:

The Differentiated Learner: Responding to the Needs of All Learners
    How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms

7. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jan 28, 2007

I love the CHAMPs: A Proactive and Positive Approach to Classroom Management by Randy Sprick. Some schools as a whole use this program, but I'm just going to be doing this on my own. My daughter's teacher also uses this (and it goes well with the Wong's, as well). I've seen it in action, and it works! Anyway, it covers areas from creating classroom goals and rules to transitions and schedules and dealing with misbehaviors.

8. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Jan 29, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like Fires in the Bathroom would apply to middle schoolers too but how about elem. students? If Sprick blends well with what I've gotten from The First Days of School I'm all for it. Anything proactive and positive is good to me. I definitely be looking at the books by Tomlinson. I'd really like to explore this more. We have two teachers who practice this here and it's really caught my attention. The others sound good too. I'll check into those. I've got to pace it out a bit or my husband will have a fit when the credit card bill arrives.:eek:

9. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching is a nice complement to Wong.

10. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 22, 2007

Anything by Alfie Kohn is really good! especially these:
    - Punished By Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes by Alfie Kohn
    - The Schools Our Children Deserve
    - Beyond Discipline: From Compliance to Community
    - No Contest: The Case Against Competition
    - The Homework Myth

If you are teaching anything related to social studies.. "Lies my teacher told me" is a must read..

These are good too:

Beyond Behavior Management: The Six Life Skills Children Need to Thrive in Today's World by Jenna Bilmes

Starting Small (Teaching Tolerance in Preschool and the Early Grades) by Vivian Gussin Paley

..And on different ways of teaching:
    -In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences by Thomas Armstrong
    -Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn--and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less by Roberta Michnick Golinkoff
    - Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences by Howard Gardner (this is the classic one)
    -Multiple Intelligences: The Theory in Practice by Howard Gardner
    -The Art of Changing the Brain: Enriching the Practice of Teaching by Exploring the Biology of Learning by James Zull

All are available on amazon

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2007

I'm fond of Rafe Esquith: There Are No Shortcuts and his latest, Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire.

12. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 22, 2007

I've heard good things about teach like your hair's on fire..

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2007

Teach lIke your hair's on fire is absolutely wonderful and inspiring. I read it just the other day in one day!!!!!!!

I totally agree with Esquith's approach, and hopefully one day I will be able to use these things in my own classroom:rolleyes: although it's becoming a frustrating search. What I really loved is his discussion of Kohlberg's Moral Development and using rules .... it made sense..

Another book, I highly recommend is Strategies for Great Teaching by Reardon and Dernor.....

14. aoh

aoh New Member

Feb 27, 2007

I haven't read Clark's book Essential 55, but I would highly recommend his other book called "Excellent 11". Good luck in your search.

15. mrs.kitchen

mrs.kitchen Rookie

Mar 7, 2007

anything by Alfie Kohn. I haven't acutally read his stuff yet, but just by the titles I know they're going to be books that will offer a unique perspective.

.alfiekohn.org/index.html (I can't post a link since I'm so new, but check it out!)

16. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 8, 2007

I actually used his a lot of his material for a class I had previously. I like him too. I will have to look into getting a couple of books of his. Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire sounds good just from the title. I'll check that one out on Amazon.

17. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Mar 8, 2007

I'm reading There Are No Shortcuts now; I like it for the most part. I do wonder how directly his program ideas could carry over into a special education classroom though.