Any MI GSRP Teachers Here?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by EDUK8_ME, Aug 9, 2009.

1. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

Looking for colleagues to discuss GSRP issues.

3. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I am not obviously because I am wondering what GSRP is? I haven't come across that abbreviation, just curious!

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

GSRP stands for Great Start Readiness Program. A MI state funded preschool program. Thanks for asking.

5. Elaine.

Elaine. Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I teach in a GSRP classroom. I would love to discuss different topics with you. What's on your mind?

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

Hi Elaine and welcome. Well I guess our biggest concern is the state budget. Our program is looking to possibly either lay off or delay the start of school. Are you competitive or school-aid? Is the budget crisis causing your program any concern?

7. Elaine.

Elaine. Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

My class is competitive and unfortunetly I am very concerned. Although I would not lose my job if we do not get funding, I would take a considerable pay cut. I love teaching pre-K but don't know if I could afford to live on lower wages. I have been looking for an elementary position this summer but also not a lot of those jobs either. How about you?

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

Since I am state-aid and connected to a school district( but not a contracted teacher) I will be laid off if the government decides to eliminate all funding. If funding is reduced and my district still receives some money, I will still have a job since I have top seniority. Curious, you mentioned you could get a pay cut but not lose your job. Does your program receive funding from another source besides GSRP?

9. Elaine.

Elaine. Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I work for a private center that has tuition based preschool available too. So I would still be able to run a preschool classroom with in the center however I would take a huge pay cut.

10. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

I don't get it, last year the legislature increased funds for GSRP and K-12 now the senate wants to eliminate and cut funding.
    I also having been looking for another job. No luck yet.
    How long have you been with your center?

11. Elaine.

Elaine. Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

That is what is so frustrating. Especially since this gsrp has been researched and results show that children that attend are better prepared for school. Finally something that is working to better prepare children for school and they want to cut it.

Looking for a new job kind of stinks right now. I just applied for two more yesterday. Guess I'll keep my fingers cross. I've been working for this center for about seven years. I started as a teacher assistant when I was going to college. How about you have you been working at your school for a while

So what curriculum do you run for your program?

12. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

I am hoping to start my 16th year at my center. I just completed my Masters degree this summer hoping that some day it will open another door for me. I am always looking for other job possibilities.

We are using the High Scope curriculum with COR as our assessment tool. I teach half day classes, a.m. & p.m. 4 days a week. Friday is our planning/staff meeting day. How about you?

13. Elaine.

Elaine. Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I have the same basic schedule for class. I run an A.M. and P.M. class monday through thursday and have planning on fridays. I do use highscope and the cor. This will be my third year teaching gsrp(if we have it?) and third year using highscope. I really love the highscope approach and truly believe that it works. However, I kinda disagree with part of their approach to reading book aloud to the class.

The MDE came in and did the PQA in my class last year and one of the things I was marked down for was reading a book aloud to the whole class at one time. They said it should be done in a small group setting. They suggested to do it at the beginning of class when everyone was signing in have a tub of books for the children to look at or during snack time have the teacher at each table read a book.
    Here's why I disagree: In the gsrp implementation manual it says that each child should have a book read to them daily, which I think is highly important. However, if I do this at the beginning of the day with a tub of books. Some children may want to look at a book independently and not listen to a book reading aloud. Although we having a reading area not all children visit that area daily so if they looked at the book independently they wouldn't have a book read aloud to them that day. Also with the whole reading at the table; the reason why I don't like that is because it is the time I work on manners at the table, taking conversational turns, and the dialogue between the children at the snack time is amazing. I feel like I would be taking an important communication experience away from them especially those who may not eat at the table with their families.

What do you think? When do you read a book to your children?

14. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

I absolutely agree with reading books in small groups which I have been doing for many years. I find it easier to read and discuss the book with a smaller group. Now that being said, the way we currently do it in my class is sometimes not ideal. My room is set up so the two main tables are spread apart. My associate and I read at the same time to the children at our own table just before small group. Sometimes we read the same books and sometimes not. If I have a good group of listeners I will take them to our school library which is the classroom next door to read. This arrangement works for us in that we get to read to a small group and everyone is read to. I do read sometimes to the whole group if I need a filler activity.

Our snack time is just before the students go home. So if they finish snack early and it is not time to go yet I have them get a book to look at. If they ask me to read it (and they usually do) I will read then too. But I would not read during snack time for the same reasons you stated.

15. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

I am a GSRP teacher. Up until a week ago I thought I would become jobless because of the state, however I was just given word that no matter what we will have one class, so either the state comes through, or my school will be paying for it out of school budget. We did cut one of the classes during the process though.

My class is 5 full days and I teach Creative Curriculum, although contrary to most people, I don't love it.

I often read a book to my whole class at once, I feel it really prepares them for listening/speaking in a large group and learning to ignore distractions. I will also read stories to my students during center time. The last 2 years of classes have been so into books, that they could be in the middle of working on anything and they all tend to gravitate towards a book being read, therefore I think most of them have demonstrate the ability to have books read in larger groups.

16. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 19, 2009

Welcome. Are your 5 days 1 full day class or two part day sessions? Are you competitive or school-aid?

17. Elaine.

Elaine. Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

18. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

19. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

My class is one that meets 5 full days and it is school aid.

I do recall whenever, haha! I try to do it at the end of the day for a closing activity, but many times I'll use it as a transition to line up, or while we wait in line for something. Or if we have a few minutes to spare in between something. Doing it at snack time is a great idea, unfortunately I don't have my students sit and eat snack. Snack is open during center time and they may choose when/if they want to eat snack.

20. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Since you teach 5 full days, when do you do lesson planning and any prep work?

21. Elaine.

Elaine. Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

We do recall after clean-up from work time(free choice). It is a part of our daily routine and the children really enjoy sharing what they did with their peers. We do it in small groups and and in different formats. We may have the children go get one thing they used at worktime and then talk about it. Make a graph of the areas the children played at for the day. Have the children share what they did using puppets. This is a great time to talk about social skills and problem solving too. If there was a problem with materials or between peers that the children bring up you can help the children problem solve a solution together.

22. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Good question! I'm not sure! I do get specials during the week, so I get 30 minutes there...everything else has to be done after school, weekend, etc. No really ideal for the program requirements, but it's just the way it is.

Do you get specials?

23. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

We do not have specials. We do have a music lady come once a month. Just curious, are you a contracted teacher?

24. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

I am a yearly contracted through a public school. How about you? When do you start?

25. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 27, 2009

I am not a contracted teacher. Normally, staff starts back the Tuesday after Labor day with students starting the 3rd Monday in September. But, since the State-Aid budget has not been signed yet and my district cannot support our program (we have 6 classrooms) we will either start late (October 1) or be laid off for this year. The school board meeting is September 1, I might find out more info then. I have a job interview tomorrow for a non-teaching educational position. I really hope I get it.

26. s5walker2

s5walker2 New Member

Feb 3, 2010

HELP with GSRP Lessons!!!

Hi all,
    I am a brand new hired GSRP teacher (hired last week, got students yesterday). I haven't been trained to GSRP and have always taught kindergarten.

The grant requires as you know, 1 hour of free choice time. I am curious to how other teachers fulfill this need. Currently I have groups of students (red group, blue group, etc) that rotate centers and do activities either left out or in the area. I do not think this is free choice but I dont know how else to organize the classroom and have order. I have tried letting them choose (and limiting 4 kids per center) but someone is always upset and it wasn't working.

HELP! Ideas, please?!?!

27. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 4, 2010

Welcome to GSRP! as a former kindergarten teacher you may find free choice time to be difficult because this is the time of day that is not teacher directed. It is time for children to explore, create, and socialize on their own with us to support and guide but not direct their activities.

During free-choice time children should be FREE to move in and out of centers of their own choosing. The teacher can plan activities for the centers but let the children explore the activities at their own level.

The problem with rotating centers is that it may limit the children's creativity and social skills. For example, a group of children are really involved in creating a block structure together and 15 min. later they have to leave the block area because the time is up. The project they were building and creating and the social skills and teamwork they were developing have just been diminished.

If you plan enough activities and your interest areas are well stocked, you shouldn't have chaos. In general, chaos occurs when children are bored or they don't know what to do.