Any marathon runners here?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2010

So, I am training for a 5k. Right now, I am able to run 3 miles and each time it is getting easier!!! I'm so proud of myself. I've always loved to run, but only short distances. I've always considered myself to be more of a sprinter. I never had great stamina.

Anyways, I'm proud that I am running 3 miles, but it feels like I am taking too long to get it done. What's a good time for a 5K?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2010

For someone without a 5K under his or her belt, I think a person would be quite happy with twenty-five minutes or so. But I just pulled that number out of nowhere. It depends on so many factors including experience, age, gender, physical condition, and so forth.

My husband runs but has only been in one actual race in the past ten years and his time was twenty minutes and a few seconds. He wasn't thrilled, but he lived. :)

4. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Oct 4, 2010

Women should be happy in the 25 to 30 minute range. We are about 3 minutes slower than men on average - maybe a bit less. I've been running for many years and my time on a track type surface is around 21 minutes. It depends on my mood, the music I'm listening too, the weather (I prefer colder), and whether I'm running with my husband. I swear I take 3 strides to his one. Age also plays a role. I run around 20k a week. Doing this allows me to eat, something I enjoy greatly.

What's your time on 3 miles?

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2010

I always do the 5K Race for the Cure with my school. My first year (when I was in better shape), I ran it in 24 minutes and 30 seconds. I think it's a pretty good time for someone who doesn't run competively. People who run a lot and train more would probably have a better time.

But when I ran three miles the day before the race, it took me over 30 minutes. I was able to push myself a lot more when it was a race. If you're just going on runs daily, I wouldn't expect it to be too fast. I try to at least keep a ten minute mile when running outside. I'm not very fast though (except in the race!)

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2010

I'm no runner, but my teacher friend runs ultramarathons--50 mile races! This past weekend he did the Alcatraz open-water swim for the seventh time.