Any Macbook users out there?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 17, 2008

So I took all the money I earned from teaching summer school and housesitting and bought a new macbook. I love love love it, but just after a few days it's starting to get marks where my wrist touches. I started to see marks on some of the keys but they wiped off easily. The other part just wont come clean! I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed with a damp cloth and it's still there! I'm afraid to use anything else because that is what Apple recommends. I'm starting to miss my black pc that I rarely had to clean. Ugh! I was thinking of getting a plastic case to go over it to protect it from getting dirty and scratches, but I don't know if I'll like it, and it's $50. So let me know what your thoughts are, fellow mac users. :confused:

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 18, 2008

I have an iBook, and I just use diluted hand soap to wash it off. Mine's over 3 years old, though, so it's beginning to look a little worse for wear. I have also used Windex to clean the white parts (not the screen - just use water for that). It still works!

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2008

Our school system gives them to us for teacher use. Mine is dirty as well. I have gotten mine clean w/ a damp mr. clean scrubbie. Not super wet, just a bit damp.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 18, 2008

Ok I just used a dry Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the wrist pads. It just came right off! Yay!

On my school ibook I used water w/ some soap and it was nice and clean. But the macbook seems to be made different so I wasn't sure what would work.

I'm just a little worried if it's already dirty after a week, what's it going to look like in a year! :(

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

Okay here we are almost a month later. I used the magic eraser again, but on the keys, since they were getting pretty bad. For the wrist pads, I started putting cute post it notes on it. Haha. Hey, it doesn't get dirty! And you see all the dirt that the post it soaks up and it really makes me want to wash my hands constantly. Yuck.

Anyway, I'm really concerned about this magic eraser. Is it going to take the letters/numbers off my keys? Is it going to take off a layer of the plastic? Ahh I'm so worried. It really is amazing how it cleans it. I just don't want my computer to be ruined because of it. I've used it twice so far. Once on the keys, and once on the wrist pad.

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

There's a wrist pad?
    I turn off the computer remove the battery and I then clean it as everybody has said.
    For Light clean I get the lens cleaner towelets from Wal Mart optical dept.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

Well, you know, the part of the laptop where your wrists lay when you type :)

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

thats where I put my stickies

OR my soda when I use a separate keyboard

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

I have a silicone like cover on my keys. On my powerbook, stuff kept getting stuck in my keys and they would pop of. So I got a cover. They sell them at the MAC store and I'm sure at other places too.

12. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I have a Macbook and I make my BF clean it. Its his job - haha.

To clean the screen - he just takes a wet paper towel and slowly (in the same direction) goes over the screen multiple times.

For everything else that leaves a dirt mark (including the bottom little circles) he just uses elbow grease!

Nothing fancy....he always makes it look nice and clean :)

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

MissKirby;
    AOL news listed the top 10 computers with Mac in the top 10; price-wise it was great, because Apple also included (for college students): $100 education certificate and IPod Nano which stated that the gifts were worth $400.
    Is this so???
    We're shopping for a Mac for my son and I have yet to ask the folks at Best Buy.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

Yep, I got my macbook with $100 off, and a free ipod touch! Love it!

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

Were they both in the box??? Is the advertising on the box?? Is the certificate only for college kids?? Tell me more!!!!

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

Its for teachers/educators and students. Check out the apple website and there is a link to it. If you search apple educator's discount you'll find it.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I'd buy it through Apple online they take care of the rebate and you get it within days
    And if you are lucky and you do not to have a apple store in your state (Somewhere in the good ole USA) you wont have to pay sales tax

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

Oh that's right, you have to get it through the online store to get the discount.

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

you do???

20. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I bought my macbook in the apple store. I just had to show the sales person my UFT card. I didn't get a free I-Pod with it - I waited (because I already have a Nano) & received a free HP Print,Scan,Copier...which I think is better for me!

I think the price is starting @ 999. The only thing I really use my computer for is pictures and school work so I didn't need anything fancy.

21. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2008

I loooovvvvvve my macbook!! I've had mine a year and it's not dirty there, but I don't think my wrists touch it that much. I usually use it at my coffee table, which is lower. I did have to have the keyboard area replaced because it cracked. So I got a whole new surface area thing.

I have never had problems with lots of dirt or anything popping off.

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

I had an iBook, not a MacBook, for about 3 years. I cleaned it with a Magic Eraser with no problems. Just don't scrub too hard, or use it really wet. I only used water.

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

Thanks.
    Okay I mentioned the magic eraser to the sales guy at the Apple store but he didn't say anything. Maybe because I was paying $40 for iKlear and a keyboard cover at the same time. Haha.
    He said iKlear works really well for the oily spots on the macbooks. So here we go...

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

Actually.... it's the free ipod that you can only get online. Sorry.

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

I bought mine at the MAC store and got the discount and free scanner/copier etc.

I wish I would have waited a few months till summer- because I needed wanted to get a free nano too. But... I was afraid my powerbook was going to die and I had a very very very important term paper to do and I got scared and bought the new computer in May.