Any luck with calling schools?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kmeteach, Aug 23, 2012.

1. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 23, 2012

I've emailed every school within reasonable commuting distance that listed an email address for principals and I have used online sites (OLAS, monster, etc) to send out resumes. I haven't had any luck with the sites, and very few returned emails from principals, and most of those emails said there were no positions available.

My question is, has anyone tried just cold calling schools and asking if there are any open positions? If you did, did you have any luck? Are schools more annoyed if you call instead of emailing or contacting HR?

I'm getting a little desperate, and I view this as my last option. I can't afford to drive around dropping off resumes, and I'm guessing my emails are just being deleted without being read, so I don't see the point in sending out emails all over again. Any advice on calling schools would be appreciated!

3. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 23, 2012

I happened to drop off a resume packet today (cover letter, resume, license, Praxis scores, and sample lesson plans) to a school today. They seemed very intrigued that I did such a thing and I at least impressed the office staff. The principal was in a meeting, so I couldn't talk to her at that moment, but if she was available, they were set to bring me into her office.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

I wouldn't call because you will be interrupting them. With email they can choose to view it when they have time. Just my opinion, you have to do what will make you happy though.

5. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

Actually calling does work if you already know the principal or if you have had some email correspondance with them in the past. It shows that you are interested and took the initiative to go on their website and search for their information.

6. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 23, 2012

Calling can get you an interview, whether you actually get to talk to the principal or not. I called a high school principal with questions about a job that was posted. The secretary took my name and number and the principal called me back. I did get an interview, even though I didn't get the job.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

That was a posted position though. This would be a cold call.