Any Kids at Hope High Schools?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by AZALE, Aug 10, 2013.

1. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Aug 10, 2013

I was wondering if any of your high schools follow the "Kids at Hope" philosophy. If you are unfamiliar with it, it is based on the idea that "Every child is capable of success, no exceptions." The company that created it has pledges, badges, passports and other materials for the kids--but it all seems really juvenile.

If you're unfamiliar with it, you probably can't really help, but I'm just curious if there are other HIGH SCHOOLS who participate. I really do believe in the philosophy, I just don't know how to get the older students engaged in it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

You don't need a packaged program to instill a growth mindset.

4. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Aug 10, 2013

We've had that argument several times, but it's still something the district bought and we are expected to use all the knick-knacks.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

Oh boy. Is the school providing some 'training' on its use?

6. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Aug 10, 2013

Geez. I don't know how to answer that. Yes, I guess. We've had three trainings, that have all been exactly the same--nothing new presented, and geared toward elemenatary. We've asked, "Well how would you do that with a 15 year old?" and haven't been given much of a response.

For example, we have to give each of our students a passport. It allows them "to travel to the future!" There are places in the future they are to visit --Home and Family, Career and Education, Hobbies and Recreation...and I can't think of the 4th one off the top of my head.

I think it is great that the kids are thinking about these areas and how to be successful in them. I just don't know how to hand them this brightly colored "passport" and little stickers to put in it and expect them to take it seriously? I'd rather do a lesson or have a converstion on it.

7. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for the advice. We've had a pretty open dialogue on it at school and are well aware of the issues it is creating. And, I truly do believe in the concepts. I just want advice from another high school teacher who has worked with it.