Any job-share 1st grade teachers out there?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Lilly4, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Nov 23, 2008

I am interested in job sharing and wondered if anyone has heard of job sharing in 1st grade? I've seen it in 2nd grade and above but never in 1st. Let me know if you've done it or know anyone who has and if you have any thoughts on how it works with those little ones. My principal is open to it but I wanted to be sure it works for that age level. Thanks for your help!!! :)

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2008

We have job-sharing first grade teachers at my school. It works just fine. As long as you have good communication and share a similar philosophy, the children adjust.

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Nov 23, 2008

I job shared last year in 1st. It was great. We split in the middle of the day. She did afternoons, I did mornings. Good luck!

5. traveler

traveler Comrade

Nov 23, 2008

We have a job share team at our school too. One does Won- Wed morning and the other does Wd afternoon to Friday. It works well for them.

6. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Nov 24, 2008

Thanks for your replies! It's neat to know it can be done and that it can go well. We'll see what next year holds! :)

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 24, 2008

I was at a school where they had a teacher for reading and writing and then a teacher would come in for math and science/social studies. It worked for them.

8. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Dec 5, 2008

I've done a 1st-grade job share for the last 7 years and it's been great. We split the week in half: M, Tu, alternate Wed and alternate Wed, Th, F.

I agree w/ the comment above that the most important thing is communication between the 2 teachers & a similar philosophy. We speak to each other on the phone or in person nearly every day, as well as leave notes on the teacher computer as to what happened during the school day. This is not only for planning purposes, but just to keep the other informed on what is happening.

It also helps that we work with a team of other 1st grade teachers so we all have a very similar lesson plan base.

We are both there for the 1st and last day of school, Back to School Night, Open House as well as the first set of parent conferences. We also let the parents know that only 1 teacher will be present at the 2nd parent conference, unless it is requested for both of us to be there. In all 7 years, we've only had to do it a few times (usually because of teacher preference, not parent request).

We try to split the workload evenly between us as much as possible. And we always make sure that at the end of our "week," the room (and lessons) are ready to go for the other person so she's not scrambling the morning she arrives.

It's been a great experience. The kids have been fine and adjust very quickly. You'll both get use to them calling you by your partner's name. But I tell them, that's just like when their mom calls for them and she yells out all the siblings' names & the dog too!

We also tell the parents that it's just like having mom & dad there taking care of the kids. Sometimes mom is there & sometimes dad is there. The kids listen to whoever is with them and the parent/teacher needs to make sure to back up whatever the other parent/teacher said.

One student made a cute comment to her mother saying that it's nice having 2 teachers because her teachers are never tired at the end of the week because they only work 2-3 days and are ready to work while they are there. Pretty insightful for a 6 year old! (And she's right!)

Good luck w/ the job share!!