Any Intern Eligible Teachers Job Searching During Pandemic?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by medic917, Jul 20, 2020.

1. medic917

medic917 New Member

Jul 20, 2020

Given the pandemic, I'm really concerned on how difficult it would be to find jobs as an intern eligible candidate. I'm intern eligible for foundational math (middle school) and it seems like a lot of jobs haven't been posted despite it being near end of July.

Is it typical for jobs to post late or do you think things will start opening up given the pandemic? I'm in the Los Angeles area so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

3. medic917

medic917 New Member

Jul 20, 2020

If you have any insight or experience whether intern, pandemic or not, that will help too! Please do share!

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 20, 2020

I am in California, the SF Bay area though, and the interns we have had have been in SpEd. They have come through the colleges that support intern credentialing, so I am wondering if you are in a program yet, maybe one of the CSUs? Most of ours have come from SF State. We have enough credentialed math teachers locally that we don't generally hire interns for math positions, but perhaps the situation is different down there? From googling I saw that LAUSD has a internship program that includes math, but it looks like the deadline for this year has passed. If there are any particular districts you're interested in, you could contact HR and ask about their internship process. Good luck!

5. medic917

medic917 New Member

Jul 20, 2020

Thank you for that input! Didn't know it was that challenging for interns in SF to get jobs there. From what I remember, I've heard they had a pretty big teacher shortage due to their high cost of living but I guess things change over time. Yes, I'm in one of the CSU intern programs and from what I know there are more of a demand urban schools.

Per Ed Code, it seems like most schools look to hire fully credentialed teachers first and then hire interns if positions aren't filled by a certain date. I'm trying to figure out when this certain date would be but HR hasn't really chosen to answer that question when I reach out to multiple districts. Was hoping someone might know here.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2020

I think that's going to be a really, really difficult question to answer this year - though if you've got the chops to teach online, plan to make that known. But you might try putting your question to the folk at your county office of education.