Any inspiring weight-loss stories?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 2, 2014

I'm about 50 lbs overweight, and teaching is one huge reason why I really want to lose the weight. I am often uncomfortable, hot, and irritated because of my weight. I feel like losing weight would make me a much better mother, wife, and teacher.

Are there any inspiring weight loss stories that you can share?:help:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2014

I lost around 75 pounds in 15 months (from April 2012-June 2013). I cut calories to about 1200 a day, virtually eliminated wheat, rice and added sugars from my diet, and worked out at least 4 times per week. I've gotten a little lazy in the past few months and have put a bit of that back on, but I'm getting back on track. I won't lie, it was a lot of work, and was really hard sometimes, but it's one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

4. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Jan 2, 2014

I lost about the same amount of weight as MrsC a couple years back, but the opposite way. I hardly changed my diet at all (in fact, probably consumed more calories), but made a point of going for a run 5-6 nights a week.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 2, 2014

I'm trying! Check back with me in a few months. ;)

Here's an October to December photo comparison.

[​IMG]

I'm eating 1200 calories a day, Monday to Saturday. I don't count calories on Sundays. (I'm still generally between 1300-1600.). I have switched to whole grains and watch sugars. I haven't eliminated anything, though. I walk at the gym. Going to start with machines after my surgery recuperation.

I gained 100 pounds on steroids. Lost 30 pounds. More steroids. Lost the same 30 pounds again. More steroids. Now I'm down 20 pounds, and nobody had better come near me with steroids ever again! I have 80 more to go to be at my pre-illness weight.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2014

Looking great, Ima!

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 2, 2014

Wow, Ima. You must have started out a stick. You don't look at all over weight in the "now" picture.

After a child I had gained a lot of weight. It took 3 years before my body would let go of it. I had lost about 30 pounds in about 6 months and fight daily to maintain.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 2, 2014

I'm a very solid body type. Picture 1 is 252 pounds, size 20 women's. Picture 2 is 232 pounds, size 18 misses. I was 150 pounds, size 12 misses, when I got sick.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2014

I went from a size 22 to a size 12 in 2 years. Slow, gradual weight loss by only trying to lose a pound a week by walking, swim aerobics, and various other exercise combined with reducing calories.

I gained some back but am back down to size 14. It is really hard for me to stay at a size 12 unless I exercise like a maniac.

Anyway, I have so much more energy and stamina! I feel better about myself and don't use my size as an excuse not to do things. I feel like I blend in weight-wise, rather than being the fat girl. It is worth it!

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 2, 2014

You sure don't look it!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2014

My hoosband has lost about 50 pounds in the past year or so. He has really cut back on his portion sizes and limits his carb intake.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 2, 2014

My mom lost almost 100 pounds a couple of years ago and has kept it off. She counts calories and writes down everything in a food diary- kind of like mfp, but low tech, haha. She tries to stay around 1300 calories a day and she exercises at home for about an hour 5-6 days a week. She was overweight her entire adult life and has now maintained a size 4 (she's petite) for about 3 years. Now if only I can get with the program! I have lost about 15 pounds this year slowly. I've been doing weight watchers and exercising 3-4 days a week.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2014

I'm planning on returning to WW Online because my district will pay half of the cost. I did it several years ago and went from a size 20 to a size 12. Have gained back too much of the weight and now that I will be starting a new chapter in my life, I want to get the weight off for good.

Ima...you look great!

14. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 2, 2014

I lost 45 pounds last year (Jan-July, 2013) and reached my goal weight. I just tracked what I ate on myfitnesspal.com, chose whole wheat and veggies over the drive through, and either walked or used the elliptical for about 45 min. each evening. However, the last couple of weeks home during the holidays I have given in to unhealthy eating. Once school starts next week, I will have to start eating healthy again.

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 2, 2014

You look great, Ima!

16. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 2, 2014

Ima - you look amazing!!!

I've been up and down countless times. I joined MFP about a year ago. Tracking helped. I logged calories today for the first time in months. I'm hoping to get back on track.

Good luck!

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2014

About 6 years ago I lost 30 pounds and have kept it off. It took me about 1 year. I wrote down every calorie every day and stayed at about 1100 calories. I ate healthy foods. I did not exercise. It was a challenge, but somehow I stayed motivated and stuck with it.

I'm now working on that famous "last 10 pounds" using the same method. (except I'm jogging now about 20 miles a week, which should speed up the weight loss - we will see)

I plan to keep it off the same way I've kept off the the other weight ... by staying conscious of my caloric intake. I definitely never want to have to lose weight again.

18. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2014

I'm using myfitnesspal too. It keeps me honest!

19. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Jan 2, 2014

I lost 100 pounds on Medifast. It definitely works.. and it's quick as long as you follow it completely.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 3, 2014

I lost 48 pounds 2.5 years ago. I've been maintaining my size 6 since then by eating a tiny breakfast, a tiny lunch, and a sensible dinner. Like others, I try to watch sugar and try to eat good carbs.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 3, 2014

A friend of mine has lost 90 pounds in one year. I'm not sure of her diet, but she checks in at her gym at four-thirty every morning. Sometimes, she checks in again in the evening.

22. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 3, 2014

WOW!! You are all so inspiring! Thanks for the uplift.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 3, 2014

If you are like I am, once you start seeing progress, it is easier to keep at it. Every time I have to take steroids again, I see regression and end up with a few months of falling off the wagon.

I have narrow hips & thighs, which helps me fake being smaller than I really am. I don't, however, have a waistline. I've never had one. I also have a long torso.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 3, 2014

Good for all of you, keep up the good work! :thumb:

I really, really need to get serious about losing weight this year. I'm ready to wear a much larger variety of clothes & shoes again! And of course, be healthier!

25. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jan 3, 2014

Same for me, too!

I don't have a lot left to lost (8-10 lbs), and I am down about 10lbs from my heaviest. I did fall off the wagon back in August and by October I started putting weight back on... eek! I started MFP back up again to get these pounds off for good.

I did try WW, too. It was not worth the money to me, I didn't get a lot out of the meetings, and I like the calorie method better (I did lose a couple pounds on WW, though).

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 3, 2014

I'm thinking about buying a Fitbit tomorrow. I have a regular pedometer, but I like the idea of the Fitbit monitoring other information.

I use MFP as well, and the Fitbit will sync with HumanaFit, which is through my insurance company.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2014

I'm getting back to using MFP and charging up my Fitbit again.

28. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2014

I've found that MFP really helps, even when I'm just trying to maintain. It's so easy for an extra 300 calories to sneak in and cause excess calories ... and that sneaky 300 extra every day for a few weeks turns into a pound of fat!

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2014

So true.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

In May of 2012 I started going to TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) meetings. Go to www.tops.org if you want to see if they have meetings in your area. Since then I have lost about 20 lbs. I don't have a set goal weight yet but I am going to work on it this month. At my meetings I get weighed and there is a program that talks about healthy eating (kind of like weight watchers) but they don't tell you how many calories to eat and you don't have to buy their products so it is actually much cheaper. I have not been losing any weight lately but have to get in gear this week! I'm going to the gym, using my Fitbit to track steps (you can also track calories on the site) and just eating better by watching carbs and calories.
    It is not easy to lose weight and keep it off. I have seen many people lose weight then gain it back (and then some). You have to be vigilent and really want it. You have to change your habits. Get rid of unhealthy ones and add lots of healthy ones. There are tons of motivational Facebook pages you could subscribe to with recipes, exercise tips, or just quotes to get you in the right frame of mind. Honestly, if you are not in the right frame of mind you won't be successful. My husband is on board with me and is willing to try new foods that are healthier than what we used to eat. It's so hard if you don't have any support. If you can't get support at home try to team up with someone at work or a neighbor or relative. I have a lot of Fitbit friends that cheer me on and keep me motivated to increase my steps. Just a little "cheer" during the day really keeps me going. Sometimes just starting is the hardest part but once you start you are on your way!

31. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jan 3, 2014

What is MFP?

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 3, 2014

My Fitness Pal

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2014

Ima~you look great!!

MrsC~congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off!

I don't need to lose a whole lot of weight, but I have added some pounds since break. When we return, I plan on kicking it up at the gym again and just watching my portion sizes. That helped the last time I lost about 10-15 lbs.

34. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 4, 2014

The first time I lost about 15lbs. DH was diagnosed as being diabetic. So we switched to low carb and cut portion sizes. I'm not good about exercising. Much better during the warmer months when I can get outside.

The portion control, low carb diet is not working any more. All I do is gain weight.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

Portion conrol is difficult sometimes. Try tracking calories. A lot of calories can be packed into a portion. You might have to "reinvent" recipes that are low carb as well as lower in calories. Once you lose a certain amount of weight your caloric needs change so the portions that were right before might be too big now.

36. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 4, 2014

What you are saying makes sense. When DH was diagnosed as being diabetic I switched a lot of our recipes to low carb, low calorie recipes. At that time I was also tracking calories.

I started tracking calories again. Doesn't matter if I eat within my calorie range or not. I still gain weight at about the rate of a pound a week. I'm not looking bloated so I don't think that's it.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

What kinds of meals and low carb foods are you eating? I found that a lot of recipes and suggestions in diabetic cookbooks are not really helpful. There are a lot of high carb foods that people eat and don't realize it.

38. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 4, 2014

You guys are all so inspiring. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I would like to eat heaalthier and I need to exercise more.

Ima, I have been on steroids my whole life and I know how miserable they are. I am lucky they never made me gain a lot of weight but I got all the other side effects (including diabetes). I love how they make me feel and hate them at the same time. I hope you can stay off them and I hope your surgery goes smoothly