Any input would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by bdteach, Sep 25, 2006.

1. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Sep 25, 2006

This is a two part question, and perhaps part two is a no-brainer...

I currently have a position in a private school as a part-time TA, and it's nice and all, but obviously I really wanted to get a teaching gig for this year. I am University Intern qualified, but never got a call for interviews...

...until today. A charter school called and I'm going to interview tomorrow.

My first question is, what all should I have with me? The person I spoke with said to bring my resume and "stuff"...which I took to mean my test scores, transcripts etc...but should I bring some sample lesson plans as well?

Part two - the maybe no-brainer part - while this would be an awesome opportunity for me, I'm having issues with leaving my current job. I feel I'd really be leaving them in a bind if I were to be hired and leave. Should I be thinking about that?

as always, thanks for any input...

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 25, 2006

A school should be understanding about your moving up and out. I'm not saying you're easy to replace, but classroom teachers do the same thing all the time in schools around the world. You're not the first, so trust that the school will be fine. There are much worse ways to make an exit, and they may view it as they picked a good professional who really was so good at what she did that she's ready to move up.

The "stuff" I bring includes my resume, statement of certification, test scores, unoffical transcript, copy of my diploma, and list of references. I put it together in a plastic cover with the title page "Educational Institution Introduction Package" and my name.

Good luck!

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 25, 2006

bdteach - I struggle with your part two question all the time. I started on 9/1 as an IA, and I am sort of afraid to even look at the ads now because I don't know what I should do if I find something in there... I am learning so much here. I really want to be a teacher. So do I continue to send out my resumes and take a teaching job if it comes along? Or do I make sure they u/stand that I am looking for a job for the fall???

5. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Sep 25, 2006

kidatheart - It's frustrating because I applied for this job August 10th! I'm not out looking for anything right now and this is the second school that has called me in the past two weeks!

Good luck!

6. Dakota06

Dakota06 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

I am in the same situation as the two of you. My principal knows and understands that I am looking for a teaching job. My principal even said he knows that I will be looking and will understand if I take a teaching job although (and he laughed and smiled as he said this) "we hope that you don't find one for the schools sake and the literacy programs sake but will completely understand when I do." So I have continued to look and have an interview on Thurs.I do feel bad though because I started on 9/6 and they pushed the start date of the literacy program back so we could start on the Mon after I returned from my vacation. I will be honest with my Principal tomorrow and let him know that I have an interview set up and will of course give him plenty (the standard 2 week notice if possible) time to find a replacement. Although I would feel jorrible about leaving. It is a great school and I do know that there will be several positions opened next school year. So I don't know if I would lose a possible teaching opportunity there next school year or not. Hopefully they would not hold it against me. This day and age you never know. Good luck with what you decide.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 26, 2006

I think I'll open the lines of communication with my super and ask his a question such as "in your opinion, when I should start sending out my resumes for next year" or "would you mind critiquing my updated version so that I can get started on my job search for the fall"
    That way I'm reminding him that a teaching job is my goal, and this aide position is just a stepping stone toward that.

8. Dakota06

Dakota06 Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

Thought I'd share how it went with my principal when I talked to him today and he was excited for me. He offered to make any calls for me if needed. He prepped me with some possible interview questions, gave me advice as how to act- Be yourself etc. and gave me a book on classroom management. He appreciated my honesty with him and wished me luck although he hates to see me go but understands and was aware that this may happen. I am happy that I told him and very excited about his response to it. He even said that he appreciated me telling him rather than just springing it on him. Good luck with your job searches.

9. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 27, 2006

You too! Good luck on that interview on Thursday!!!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2006

What a GREAT principal!!!! Remember to send him a thank you note after you get the job!

Good luck!!