Any income compensation available when subs get hurt?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Jun 6, 2013.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 6, 2013

Two days ago, I had a frightening experience.

I was going for a walk, and merely stepped from the street to the sidewalk.
    I tripped over a damaged part of the curb and instantly stumbled forward for about 15 -20 feet. I landed just inside a planter full of thorn bushes.
    Fortunately, a stumbled and fell just inside the short brick wall enclosing the planter while missing the thorn bushes.
    I did, however, get a nasty bloody scrape and bruise on my elbow and shoulder, and a small scrape on my knee. I was wearing a tank top, so my upper body was mostly exposed.
    For the first 18 hours or so, I had a hard time closing my fist and my right limb hurt quite a bit. I could barely start my car.
    I set up an immediate appointment with my doctor, but instead saw the Physicians Assistant who ran some basic strength tests.
    There seemed to be nothing broken, by I will get x-rays if there is no noticeable improvement within a week.
    By biggest issue now, which I did not even notice until after the PA appointment, is difficulty in raising my are above my head.

I felt much worse six hours after the mishap than I did at the doctor's just two hours after the mishap, and probably could not have worked yesterday had I been called. I do have a job for tomorrow.

I am counting my blessings it was not worse, but could not help but wonder how I would have survived financially if it had been worse, and happened earlier in the year.

Are there social services available for subs to provide emergency income when we are hurt and can't work?
    I live alone, so I wonder how I would get by if I could not clean myself, change my clothes, walk upstairs to my apartment etc.
    Even though I pay for my own insurance, a long period of not caring for myself and not working could wipe out my finances.

I got lucky! But it is important to know what my options would have been had I not been so lucky.

Does anyone have any answers?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2013

Aflac?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2013

My thought too! But I guess you'd have to be signed up before the mishap!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2013

I would think you would be in the same position that thousands of part time workers are in. . . if you don't work you don't get paid.

My concern with Aflac is how much you pay in & do you get your money's worth? I've done the math for my family & most years it would be nowhere near worth it, especially since they won't cover my husband.