Any Ideas???

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lucilleball, Feb 7, 2009.

1. lucilleball

lucilleball Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

Any ideas???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need some ideas that can encourage a child'e independence and help them develop their own skills. The problem is I don't now how to do it when I have a parent that is always around the child and won't let them do anything for themself. I need some ideas that the parents feelings won't get hurt and the child can grow and learn.

3. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Feb 7, 2009

Have you talked to the parent? Ask the parent how important it is to them that their child becomes independent and is able to do things for themselves. In some cultures independence is not that important.

4. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

I agree with Alesia. We are up front from the get go with parents that we encourage self-help skills. Its amazing what a 3 year old can do when given the opportunity and time to do things for himself/herself. It strengthens their self esteem, fosters an "I can" attitude, and encourages independence.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 7, 2009

Do you feed the children lunch? If so, try the family style feeding model. Explain to the mom that each child must serve themself. When a child begins to have sucess with this, s/he often wants to move on to do other things for himself.

6. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

i have my kids take their sheets and blankets off their cots after nap time and fold them up by themselves; i also have them bring me their cots instead of me going to get them and put them away; when we go outside, all the kids put on their coats by themselves; if they have trouble with it i should them an easy way to do so that i don't have to help; when kids ask me to put their shoes on, i open up the laces or the velcro straps and have them put their shoes on by themselves

7. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

How is the child's self-esteem?

We have a child who's mom still feeds her with a spoon (age 5), and dresses her. But the child's self-esteem is very high and she has many other skills she is proud of. Self-help skills aren't important to her parents- they see the interdependence and bonding as more important, which is fine.

However, we have another child with confidence and self-esteem issues, who is the same way. We have talked to his mother and she has agreed that a good way to give him a self-esteem boost is to get him those self-help skills he can be proud of.

So.. it depends!

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 8, 2009

is the parent with the child in your room all day? How old is this child? In my classroom (3s) they learn to cut out all their own project sa nd do all their own "work" (name writing, letter writing etc), open the storage coantiners of toys andmanipulatives, get theri own winter gear on to go outside, take it off, hang it up, put the doll clothes on and off the baby dolls, they ahve to clean up their own messes after playtime is over, and clean up their own mess on the table after snack etc--they develop a lot of self esteem from doing these things. Also, I would speak tothe parents and tell them (maybe even in yur monthy newsletter/) that youa re working on self help skills and explain the importance of developing these skills