Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clld2tch, Jul 7, 2008.

1. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

Hi everybody,

I'm fresh out of school, starting with 2nd grade this year. Thought I would come to the experts to help me out. I want to do a theme this year but I don't know which one. I have a lot of ideas (sports, arctic, rainforest, space, circus, ocean, western....the list goes on). My original idea was to change every nine weeks, when the marking period ends, but I'm wondering if this will be too much.

I checked our SOLs and we don't really focus on one certain thing. Some of the things we talk about are the American Indians, China and Egypt.

please help...:help:

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

My 2nd graders last year LOVED Egypt/mummies, Pompeii/volcanoes and the Titanic.

I agree to not switch themes- there is so much you can do within any of those themes. They all sound fun. Good luck and congrats on your job!

5. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Just to echo what has already been mentioned ... do not change your theme every 9 weeks. You will go crazy!

I'm doing a Hollywood theme with my students this year.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I agree that switching would be too much. Pick one you like this year, and you can always switch next year.

7. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Ditto!!! Switching is stressful. Even doing it yearly can be stressful.

Just ask Jem who's switched how often this summer? Ha! Ha!:lol:

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

HAHAHHAHA! Thanks, GD2BQN.

Oh man. I just figured out what your name is suppose to be. I was actually saying the letters in my head as I typed them, thinking 'what the heck kind of name is this?', but then it just hit me! Love the ME avatar, btw.

9. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Yeah---and you have all the cool ME stuff on your site. Too cool!!!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

I just right clicked on her greeting cards! Ha!

Now I'm going around, sounding everyone else's names out, too...

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

Go with something you'll enjoy staring at for 8+ hours a day. You need to feel happy in your classroom too. You've got some great ideas. I usually go to a teacher supply store and just put some different things together for each theme to see what I like best.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2008

Habitats (such as rainforest, desert, arctic tundra, ocean, coral reef, etc.) are a HUGE part of the Virginia Science SOLs for 2nd grade, so any of those themes would fit right in! This theme can be carried over into later in the year when you teach life cycle of a plant, life cycle of a frog (and butterfly) and when you teach animal adaptations.

If it were me, I'd pick a habitat for my first theme, if you want something to go along with the SOLs.

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

My theme is Americana. The only things I really do with it is I have a lot of red and blue items, and some patriotic art prints, and some star and stripes curtains. Really though, most teachers in my school don't have themes, and their classroom's still look great. Mine just ties the room together a little bit. Good luck, and congratulations on the job!

14. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Thanks everybody. I figured switching so much would be a hassle but I'm so indecisive. I'm just going to stick with the safari kind of theme.

Next year I know I'll do a travel theme when I've had a chance to get familiar with the pacing guide and curriculum. I think I'm more excited about next year than this one. Thanks again

15. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Hi clld2tch, I too was just hired as a 2nd grade teacher - and I am also fresh out of school. Are you as nervous as I am?

Okay to all you experienced teachers - do you have to have a theme in your room? I haven't decided on a theme yet, and so far am not leaning toward anything special. Any advice?

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 12, 2008

No. You don't have to have a theme. You'll do just fine without a room theme. Don't sweat it!

17. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

Themes can be great, but you don't have to do one. Your "theme" can just be to change deco. with the seasons and holidays. I've done it both ways and both work great. Do a theme if you'd like, but don't stress over it.

18. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

I was indecisive also so I ended up choosing a theme that meant something to me. I love camping so I chose a camping theme.

19. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I was going to say that I don't have a theme because I've just been decorating my room with things I like--Mary Engelbriet. I use a lot of LIVE,LOVE,LAUGH/Believe/happiness words in my room but I guess in reality--that is a theme!!!:rolleyes:

20. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

on and off

Mom to CAV:

It's odd. I'm so excited about this year. I believe sometimes I think about it too much and that's when I start getting nervous. I just want everything to be perfect and I know it won't. *sigh* I told my cooperating teacher (He's from the same school) that I was just ready to go to work. Getting started is the hardest part...for me anyway...Good luck to you.

21. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Thanks clld2tch! Good luck to you too!!!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2008

You don't have to do a whole room theme. Pick one idea on which to base your beginning year activities- sports might be good. Center your beginning of year activities, first bulletin board aroudn that...Sports is good because you can do that whole 'We're a team' thing..class building activities...

The rainforest, arctic, ocean stuff could come into play in your science studies and you could create bulletin boards/projects in your classroom to go with those if they are in your curriculum.

Circus seems EARLY elementary to me- I wouldn't do in my grade-2.

23. BeckyRamone

BeckyRamone Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

This might sound silly... but what's a theme? I've never really heard this used in Australia. You just decorate your classroom one way for the whole year? or it carries on through your teaching?

Here, every 10 weeks we start a new unit and our room changes, mostly to the work the kids create and some other posters etc. I'm interested in what a theme room is like!

24. mhart

mhart New Member

Jul 14, 2008

Themes

I was thinking of doing a space theme this year for my first graders. I wanted to tie it into the new space movies Walle and Space Chimps. Does anyone have any ideas for me?