Any ideas...?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by NYTeacher83, Feb 10, 2011.

1. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Feb 10, 2011

Once again, I come to you veteran 6th grade teachers asking for some help.

After our February break, we'll be moving into newspapers. Ultimately this will be tied in with Ancient Greece.

I was wondering if you have any ideas on how to teach newspapers? Any specific topics you touch on? Any on-line resources?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

I bring in newspapers for the students to look at. First, we talk about the parts of a newspaper. We brainstorm the parts that we find and what each part or section is.

Then we zero in on a specific articles and look at the parts of an article.

4. one2teach

one2teach New Member

Feb 12, 2011

I agree. Start with realia. Bring in the newspapers. I usually like to bring in several different ones so that the students can begin to see there is a difference in styles and content.

Your local newspaper, The Washington Post, New York Times, and USA Today are some ideas. If you have technology in your room, be sure to include online newspapers.

Things to touch on...global, local, interest specific

I think it's important to have them realize few people will actually read the entire newspaper. Rather, spend time touching on a few basic things. What is current in the world? What is going on in their own community? What specific interests do your students have? Are they interested in sports, health, beauty?

After the students have a chance to learn about why we have newspapers and the purpose that they serve, what about creating a classroom newspaper? Small groups could focus on various topics of interest. This is a great building block for future young journalists who might be inspired to get involved in their Jr High or High School newspaper later one. Who knows, maybe you are inspiring the next great columnist!

What a great adventure you are embarking on. So much fun!

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué