Any Ideas???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachingMommy, Sep 3, 2010.

1. TeachingMommy

TeachingMommy New Member

Sep 3, 2010

I would like to start sending home a book and activity with my students every week, but I'm not sure where to start with this. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start or what to send or how to explain it to parents?
    Thanks!

3. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 3, 2010

One of our teachers does fluency passages each week. She sends home the short passage (no more than 2 pages) on Monday and each night the parents are to time their child on how quickly they correctly read through the passage. On Friday, the teacher then checks and records the student's growth.

My students usually answer comprehension questions once a week from our basal story.

Sometimes I send home character study activities or setting activities when students can interview a character, illustrate a setting, etc.

Whatever you send home needs to be instructionally valuable and something that can be accomplished with little assistance.

4. lemons11

lemons11 Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

I use comprehension questions to go with books at students individual level.
    Try:

childrenscomprehension.com

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

6. TeachingMommy

TeachingMommy New Member

Sep 7, 2010

Thank you all for the great ideas!

7. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Sep 7, 2010

I have a weekly reading log that I send home. Students are to read independently from a book they choose (my library, school library, and public library are available resources) and then they respond to what they read. Either a summary or a reflection...you can check my blog, under homework for a copy of it.

http://blogs.bullittschools.org/melissadaunhauer