Any Ideas On Walking In Lines?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by dxj6482, Sep 12, 2010.

1. dxj6482

dxj6482 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

This is going to be the third week of school and my kiddos still can't walk down the hallway without talking, touching each other or the walls, and twirling. Other teachers yell at them all of the time. Before we leave our room, we go over the rules. Lips zipped, catch a bubble, hands clasped, walking feet. I feel like a broken record!!! How did you get your kids to follow the rules? I've tried bribing them, stickers, praise, etc.... Nothing seems to work! I feel like I'm the only idiot that can't control her class!?! HELP!!!!

3. treehugger

treehugger Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

We say a little poem in the hallway and act it out before we even leave:
    My eyes are facing forward
    I'm standing straight and tall
    My voice and feet are quiet
    I'm ready for the hall

Also I tell them to make sure they have marshmallows on their feet (quiet). Do you have a para? I always tell them I'm going to walk at the end of the line so I can be sure they are all doing the right thing, and I have my para lead the line. I also have a marble jar that I add marbles to when the WHOLE class is doing a good job, and when they fill it they get a pre-agreed upon (chosen by them, extra recess, extra choice time, special snack, etc) prize. Walking in line is a great time to add marbles! Good luck, they'll get it!

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2010

Well, it's probably not ALL of them, so I'd let the ones who "get it" go out to recess one day while you keep those who need more practice inside (even just for 2-3 minutes longer) and make them practice. Then do that again the next day, and the next and the next....they'll get it pretty fast.

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

Even my 2nd graders are having trouble with this right now! IT is lots and lots of practice.

We practice getting in a line first, over and over again without talking. I will call about 3 students at a time, as soon as someone opens their mouth, everyone sits back down, and we start over again. I usually tell them they are going to be late to wherever we are going, and so they will miss out on time there (even if we have plenty of time). We don't even leave the room until everyone is absolutely silent and in a line.

I also teach my kids stopping points around the school. This is where my line leader will stop everytime we walk somewhere (so that the stragglers in the back are always with the class). If they have trouble in the line as soon as we get into the hallway, we stop, we go back to the room, sit back down, and start all over again.

It is very time consuming, but after practicing it quite a bit, they learn. Throughout the year I revisit this a few times as things start to fall apart. Also, for K, maybe try one of those ropes where each child has a place to hold onto if they still don't have an awareness of where their body is supposed to be.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

Oh, and by the way... I NEVER walk at the front of my line. I always walk to the side or back. I like to be able to see every child and what they are doing. When they realize that I can see everything that they are doing, this helps a little with the behavior too!

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 12, 2010

Yes - PRACTICE. We practice IN the classroom first. When they show me they can do it in the room, we practice in the hallway when we're NOT rushing somewhere.

8. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

I've had tough groups in the past when it comes to walking in the hallway...just keep working!

What does the floor in the hallway look like?

We have large tiles on the floor, so I remind my kids to stay in the first big square (can work with small squares too). Luckily for us there is a small row of green tile next to the wall...they are not allowed to touch the green tile, which means no touching the wall.

Some other things people in my building do is:
    1. Walk like a soldier-hands stay at sides, standing up tall, eyes to the front, etc.
    2. They have the kids follow one of the lines between the tiles, like a tight rope.
    3. For the smaller squares, we tell them to put 2 feet in a box.

Hope these might help! Good luck!

9. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

Similar song-
    When our hands are at our sides,
    we are lined up straight and tall.
    Mouths are closed, eyes look ahead
    then we are ready for the hall.

I have explained many times that we are not just saying this, we need to do it!. If they don't we stop and don't move until everyone is doing it. When you are late to lunch because of certain children, others start to get on their case about doing the correct thing. We also have stopping points around the school.

My problem this year is 2 girls and 1 boy that look all around as we walk. When we stop, they don't and they crash into others. The other children are starting to get tired of being bumped into.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2010

TEAM

Toes
    Eyes
    Arms
    Mouth

I will ask them to have their toes facing forward, their eyes looking at the head in front of them, their arms at their sides and that they put a bubble in their mouth. If there's a bubble in their mouths they can't pop it our let it out......

I have tried spotting the secret hall walker. I tell them I am looking for a secret hall walker and that person is going to get a sticker if they are walking in the hall they way they are supposed to. I randomly choose one kid and if they are showing me a TEAM line, then I reward them.

11. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

I'm so glad I found this post. It's nice to know I'm not alone out there! I'm taking mental notes!

12. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

I also use the first few minutes of recess to "practice" walking in line correctly. It usually only takes a few extra minutes before they realize they need to be quite so they can get to the playground... but sometimes it takes several days of this before they remember to do it at the appropriate time!! Good luck!!

13. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

Okay, don't beat me up, I know the importance of walking in line and I have problems just like the next person with it. All the suggestions are great ones here and I would just add that practice does eventually make perfect along with clearly stating your expectations and not letting the kids get away with anything less. But, here's why I decided to post to this post....I was taking a dear teacher friend's son to swim practice one day years ago when he said to me "Ms. M, there's only two places on this earth where you have to walk in line and be quiet." To which I replied "Oh yeah, what are they." To which he answered, "School and prison!"

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2010

:rofl: That's funny!

I guess being a Montessori teacher I don't get the whole in a straight line thing. As long as they're quiet and keeping their hands to themselves, why do they have to be in a straight line?

15. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2010

We have 7 sessions of first grade and on kinder in our hall, there's no way 180 kids can walk safely in the hall to recess or lunch if they're not in line. We walk along the side of the hall to leave the middle open for anyone wanting to walk up stream....

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 14, 2010

I have a few rhymes, but the thing my kids love the most is pretending they are in the army. I talk about how men and women in the army stand up tall, eyes forward, hands by their sides, and they don't talk unless the person in charge talks to them first. When they're lined up, I say, "ATTENTION!" and they stand at attention. It may sound weird and strict, but it's really very playful and they LOVE it! We also talk about how army people may march, but we walk with quiet feet at school. :)

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

I was also going to suggest a particular square on the floor tile for them to walk on... that has worked for me in both K and PreK... my room is across from the gym, and the gym teacher has placed small pieces of yellow gym tape at intervals on the floor on both sides of the hallway leading to the door. The kids know when they are coming or going from gym that they need to be standing on a yellow dot while they're in the hallway. If you don't have tiles, could you get permission to do something like that?

Our K's do "hip and lip" which is one hand on their hip, one finger on their lip. Some of them do a "peace" sign instead of one or the other, but it seems to help... they will have the few kids who "can't" make thel ine work practice later on. They HATE that, but they understand.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 14, 2010

Usually when we walk in the hall there is a lot of traffic. Today I had some kids get lost on the way to recess! We have to walk down the 4th grade hallway and the 4th graders weren't in a line. We all mixed and some of my kids went into a 4th grade classroom. So, I think it's more for organization and safety than anything. Plus, some of our class sizes are as high as 26. I wouldn't want to be walking down the hall having a group of 26 kids coming at me!

19. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 15, 2010

Our kinder classes are the largest in the school with 24 ech. when both classes walk down the hallway one after the other, its' a never-ending parade of 5-yr-olds, most of which are donig a great job.

(We're multi-age 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6, and all of those went from 4 sections to 3... they were concerned with declining enrollment, but from the looks of K don't need to be concerned!)

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 15, 2010

We use a CHAMPs behavior system and our procedure taught school wide is to walk with your hands behind your back, look at the person in front of you and talk at a level '0'. We walk in a CHAMPs line and other teachers and even children will compliment any class doing a great job. For some reason, this really works with the children, since it is done in every class. We walk in lines due to the amount of children often moving around at the same time. Ever been to Disney World? You walk in lines there all day long!

21. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 15, 2010

My K class has received numerous comments from my director, other teachers, and guests about how quiet and proper they are in the hallway. I don't say a cute poem, or sing a song-it's simple.
    Hands are behind their back and their lips are "zipped".
    It does take a lot of practice and patience, but they realize that when walking in the hallway it is important to follow these rules so that they can get rewarded. Of course I have one or two that need to be reminded on where their hands need to be placed when walking, but the majority know what they need to do.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2010

Another thing you might want to do is make it a lesson inside your classroom or outside somewhere but at a time when there are no other classes and distractions around. Pick a few volunteers and practice with 5 kids and show them what it looks like. Then pick 5 more and so on. Don't just tell them what to do but show them what to do and have them practice like that. Tell them K kids practice how to be good students because it will help them in first grade and so forth. It is an important skill to practice. (I say this about a lot of stuff). Of course I don't have to tell you the importance of praise.

I also keep my eye on my class the entire time they are walking and I make positive hand gestures and comments as often as possible throughout our walking in a line so they see I am watching and I love what they are doing. If I have to, I stop the line, remind them what I need and they help each other with getting back in gear.

Having said that, my line isn't perfect but it goes pretty well for squiggly bodies this young.

23. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 16, 2010

In China I saw a line of children have their hands on the child in front of them. I have tried this and it worked to a point - until someone goes too fast, we have to go up steps or the kid doesn't want somebody holding their shoulders.

The thing I am doing at the moment is 'hands on head'. This means they have to be quiet and we walk with our hands on our heads (we never have far to walk). It's been the best method so far. (Even I walk with my hands on my head so they get the message. I think the school are used to seeing us now with our hands on our heads).