Any Ideas for Teaching Three Branches of Government

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by CaliGirl21, Nov 4, 2006.

1. CaliGirl21

CaliGirl21 Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

Does anyone have any ideas of how to creatively introduce the three branches of government to third graders? I am a student teacher and this is my first lesson that I am "planning" on my own. I want to make it fun for the students by possibly incorporating some type of art into it or something similar. It needs to only be a short lesson-40 minutes. It is not a whole unit, so I don't need a week's worth of activities--just something to introduce the three branches and then a fun project to go along with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :love:

3. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Nov 4, 2006

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/government/branches.html

Use this flow chart. cut it up into pieces and have the students put it back together again. If the students have SS books they can refer to help them along. It makes it a lot more interesting than just reading out of a book.

4. CaliGirl21

CaliGirl21 Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

Thanks for the suggestion!

5. latybug

latybug Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

I teach this using hand signals. For example hold your right pointy finger up as you say...."1st one is (now hold out thumb to make an L) legislator they (now with right and left hands making L pinch them together like you are pinching dough) make the laws." Now hold up first two fingers and say..."Second one is executive (hold up left two fingers, put left and right hand together to make an X). Cradle two hands together as you say...."They carry out the laws." Then hold up three fingers and say.. "Third one is judgical... (make a J by swooping down then up then make a fist and pound on left open hand) they make things fair. Hopefully this is clearer than mud. I have taught it this way for the last five years and it really helps them remember it.

6. CaliGirl21

CaliGirl21 Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

Great idea latybug! I really like the hand motions.

7. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Nov 6, 2006

Latybug,
    How simple! Who would've thought?? We're just getting ready to do government, and this idea is a keeper! Thank you!

8. latybug

latybug Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

You're welcome. It's funny to watch them take the test on this. Some of them actually do the motions as they write them down.

You can add to this if you want. After Legislation make a C with right hand and say...."Their boss is Congress." Then after executive salute and say...."Their boss is the President." Finally after judicial stand tall with your hands like you are holding onto your suit coat collar and say... "Their boss is the Federal Judges."

9. Ms. K

Ms. K Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

The 4th grade teacher that I work with actually has the students bring in small tree branches (or three or sticks). They fill out index cards with the branch and it's job. The attach the cards to each branch with string or yarn and then hang the entire "branch" in the room.