Any ideas for teaching about play?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Bernard, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Oct 22, 2009

I am looking for a quick, hands-on activity to help my staff learn about the value of children's play and the many ways that young children learn and grow through play?

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2009

Bernard; are you planning on a staff workshop?

Why don't you try this...

1. Pick a subject, let's say ART...and then describe a great activity that will benefit the student as he/she does the art activity. One simple example might be to show how mixing primary colors will make new colors.

2. Now SHOW them how fun it is to do the experience...have some paints ready and have THEM participate.

3. Now ask them, which activitiy was more beneficial and fun...hands-on vs talking about it?

Don't know if this is what you're asking, so good luck; you'll get lots of help here. :)

Oops; I went back and reread that you needed help with "play". Sorry; I think if you start off with a few great quotes about play, that can get you started.

Here's a great one:

Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn.
    O. Fred Donaldson
    Contemporary American martial arts master

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 22, 2009

I wrote on my blog about this recently after writing a grant for dress up clothes for my classroom.

http://risepreschoolmnc.blogspot.com/2009/09/all-dressed-up-ready-to-learn.html

After I started writing my grant, I found there were a whole lot more preschool standards that can be touched on during pretend play and dress up than I realized.

Maybe my article will give you some ideas of things to do.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2009

Here is a handout I have done on the importance of block play - sorry I don't know how to attach it so I just copied - the real one is pretty. Feel free to use it.

There’s More to Block Play Than Meets the Eye

Blocks are more than just fun; they are great teaching and learning tools, too. Providing opportunities for block play is a great way to build skills that we ordinarily think of as academic. Blocks are especially beneficial when children are allowed to freely explore and manipulate blocks in a variety of engaging and creative ways.

During block play, children learn:

To be creative and put abstract ideas into action (a farm can be represented with blocks);
    To make logical connections (farm animals with fences and barns);
    To problem solve and be inventive;
    To apply previously learned knowledge;
    To work cooperatively;
    To build upon each other’s work;
    To be proud of their hard work;
    And to enjoy the process of learning;
    Math concepts are explored and put to practical use (shape, size, length, weight, symmetry and spatial relationships);
    Science concepts such as gravity, balance, stability and cause and effect are discovered and investigated;
    Language, vocabulary and symbolic thought are increased;
    To make decisions and choices.
    Coordination so eyes, hands, small and large muscles work together which in turn prepares children for success in reading and writing.

Blocks perform double duty in terms of children’s play and education. A wide variety of blocks are available, but you can also make great blocks at home. Empty shoe and cereal boxes can keep children engaged for weeks. Children’s creativity will expand further if you encourage them to make their own accessories from recycled items. Packing peanuts can represent cars or people, popsicle sticks can become fences, oatmeal tubs become castles.

When it comes to block play, it’s all in the imagination.

Turn off the television and electronic games -

Turn on creativity and imagination for loads of

Fun

And

Learning.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 22, 2009

Look on some Head Start web sites, they are really into play.

7. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Oct 23, 2009

I know it's not hands on, but there was a great article in the Sept 27th issue of The New York Times Magazine about the importance of pretend play. The research time mentioned in the article has a web site. I made copies of the article for my parents.

http://www.mscd.edu/extendedcampus/toolsofthemind/