Any ideas for schedule board?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Jun 6, 2010.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Jun 6, 2010

I am looking for any ideas for a schedule board. How have you created a schedule board for preschoolers? I am in a fairly new preschool classroom and they do not have one.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

Sounds like a college assignment I had.

I like a "Flow of the Day" rather than a strict schedule with times. I mostly do the same thing in the same order every day but I don't want to be stuck to an exact time.

I like pictures (either of your class or clip art) of each time with a short explanation (morning meeting, etc.). In another version you post for parents you can add what they are learning during that time.

You can do it vertically or if you are space challenged I have one in a line under a white board so if kids ask what we are doing next we look for the right picture and what comes next.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 6, 2010

I have seen them just like scmom says, however the most engaging one I ever saw had an additional "what the clock looks like" picture next to the activity picture and the clock was conviently hung on the wall within the boarders of the chart. So it was a great little package. It wasn't ever set up explicitly to teach how to tell time, but the teachers mentioned that almost everyone in the 3 and 4 room could by spring tell time.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

I forgot to mention I have done one where each time period is on an individual little "poster" and laminated with a magnetic stip on the back and put on my white board. That way I could move them around if we were doing things differently or if some days you have specials and some days you don't you can insert them.

I saw one teacher put it on a poster board that had a slot with an arrow that moved up and down so she could point it to the time period they were in. Wish I could have seen the back to see how she made it work.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 6, 2010

Those are great ideas too! I have also seen one where the teacher ran the schedual cards on a clothesline down the center of the classroom above the children's heads.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 8, 2010

I made boardmaker icons for each segment in the day (clipart works too!)... centers, circle, group (I have both a "table" icon and an "activity" icon, I swap them out depending what we're doing), snack, play, gym, library, "special activity", home, outside, etc... they're laminated and magnetized, and i put them on the white board. We always go through the schedule at the end of circle time to see what we're oding for the day, and we often refer to it when kids are having a rough morning (look, only 3 more things and then it's time to go home!)

8. bac32

bac32 New Member

Jun 8, 2010

You can easily make your schedule interactive by having a
    "schedule-keeper" helper move a magnet as you transition throughout your daily routine.

9. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jun 8, 2010

I also use a chart very similar to this idea. I used some pictures from teacher catalogs like Lakeshore and some pictures I took with my camera. The chart hangs horizontally at the kids eye level and each picture is captioned according to different parts of the day such as Large Group, Snack Time, Free-Choice Time etc. I don't put the time so I have some flexibility with the schedule. I also have a daily schedule posted for parents outside my door that has a more detailed description of the day.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 12, 2010

Ihave a daily schedule posted on my wall for the benefit of parents and subs, and a a visual schedule that is more like a flow of the day, children playing, circle time, snacks, table time, playground, lunch, napping, snack, playground, car home---for the children's benefit

11. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 26, 2010

When I worked with 2s and 3s I took pictures of them washing their hands, eating, at circle, outside, brushing teeth and used a picture of the toilet for when they went potty. I printed out the pictures, cut and glued them to construction paper, typed out the phrase of what was going on in the picture, laminated them and put them on the wall at their level in the order we did things. The children loved it!

12. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

I just bought this for my classroom from Lakeshore-
    [​IMG]
    It is called What Will We Do Today? Schedule Chart LL408 $19.95

13. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

The chart includes 25 choices cards and it will hold 10 at a time.

14. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

I loved this and just ordered one for my class too!

15. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Aug 5, 2010

I would rather put together my own, but would love if any of you knew where I could download some pre-made pictures. The problem I have with clip art is that the styles are hard to match, and I am currently in need of a new camera.