Any ideas for a Social Studies game?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms. Jane, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Sep 23, 2006

Hi Everybody. Do any of you have some ideas about a game I can play with my 3rd grade class? I am teaching a lesson on the differences between a continent, country, state, city, and town. I made a poster that displays each one fitting inside the other, but I also wanted to play some type of a game to make the lesson more interactive. Thanks.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 23, 2006

A friend of mine taught a lesson on this that had the kids making a foldable book. They had 5 different sizes of paper all folded so that the ends met in the front to form a book. The largest had a picture of the continent on the front and when you opened the continent there was the country, the country opened to the state, the state to the parish, and the parish to the town. (Each paper was just small enough to fit inside the previous book.) I don't know if I described it enough for it to make sense, but it worked really well for her.
    You could also put them in groups, with each child having a label of continent, state, town, city, parish (county), etc. Mix them up and make them get in order without talking.
    Good luck!

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 23, 2006

Social studies game

If you have computer in the classroom or in computer lab have the students research a state and let them add 5 or more interesting facts about that state such as state flower, bird, flag, etc. You can have them make a poster board with the information in a group or on their own. You can also have them make a power point for upper grades. Also, you can take the United States and hand draw each state cut them out. have the children decorate their state and place the state together in the hallway for all to see. The result is awesome with a huge state put together and each state deocrated with a theme of that state etc.

5. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Sep 23, 2006

Thanks to both of you for your great ideas. I really appreciate it.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 23, 2006

Write continent, country, state, city, etc etc on the white board. Have kids in two groups and give each group a fly swatter. Then call out "North America," "United States," etc and have kids swat the one it goes with.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 23, 2006

I created a worksheet that went with our class atlases. I have them a list of names and they colored it a specific color based on whether it was a state, a country, a continent, a town, etc. It worked well for them to work on map reading skills as well as understanding the categories.

8. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Sep 24, 2006

ChristyF will you tell me more?

Hi ChristyF. I like your idea about the worksheet you created. Can you tell me a little more about it? Did you have various names of continents, countries, states, cities, and towns on the worksheet, and then what did you have the students color in? Did they have to refer to their atlases to find out which category each name belonged to? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 24, 2006

Sure. I actually just created a table with about 30 names (they worked in pairs) and they had to look all through their atlas for the answer (we had already had lessons on using the atlas). They colored in the box the correct color (I don't remember what colors I used but it was something like continent green, water blue, country red, and so on.

10. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Sep 24, 2006

Thanks Christy.

11. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

you can make a jeopordy game on powerpoint. it is really awesome!