Any Hope After Resignation/Nonrenewal?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by macncheese73, Aug 3, 2019.

1. macncheese73

macncheese73 New Member

Aug 3, 2019

Deleted since I just talked to someone in my district and found out the answer. :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 3, 2019

This may be hard to hear. Why do you have to check that box? Because there is a little thing called integrity. Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one will ever find out. Truth is truth -- you were non-renewed. That isn't easy to live with, but it seems you are dong the responsible thing -- really contemplating your options, trying to strengthen you performance, and move on with your head held high -- these are all positive things.

It is hard to get a teaching job without experience. It is hard to get a teaching job with only one year of unsuccessful experience. It is hard to get a teaching job when you didn't have the opportunity to do student teaching, which can be invaluable if you don't have other experiences. It is hard to get a job when you've been non-renewed. It is hard to get a job without a spectacular reference. You've got a lot to overcome.

This is one of the major problems with career switcher programs -- some are good, but many just want to collect your money, and they don't really adequately prepare you. They literally set you up to fail. You found that out the hard way. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

The deal your district made with you was a very good one. I know of very few districts that would do that. Most would just non-renew, refuse to give any reference (which is the kiss-of-death in teaching) and blackball you from ever working for them again. They must have seen potential in you to have even considered such a deal.

All you can do is keep on trying. Don't fall into the blame game -- because it doesn't help. Keep a positive attitude, and learn from what has happened. You may not get the job of your dreams right away, but with your positive attitude and your comittment to improve yourself, you wil succeed in time. Please don't give up. You may have sub for a while to get the experience you lack. You may have to take an IA psoition in a not-so-great school to get the experience you need. It's called "paying your dues" and while some people just seem to luck-into the best position and their dream job, most of us have to pay our dues for a while, and keep our chin up to eventually end up where we want to be.

I'm rooting for you!

bella84 likes this.