Any homeschoolers here?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2011

Just curious. My kid isn't nearly school age yet but I'm starting to ponder already...

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2011

I get a lot of homeschooled preschoolers and pre-k in my parent participation classes. I would say I hav 2-5 in each class every year who go on to homeschool. It seems to be a growing trend. Research programs and find a good coop group you can use for support. I have seen amazingly good homeschool families and some pretty poor ones who just used worksheets and didn't do anything else. There are also the "unschoolers" who don't use any planned curriculum at all.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 5, 2011

Good question! I suspect most teachers want to send their kids to school... ???

I'm thinking about homeschooling my oldest daughter.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2011

I would only have children if I could leave work and homeschool them. I would provide them an awesome education and hopefully connect with others in the region who do the same.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2011

Honestly, no. For a variety of reasons we've never considered it.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2011

My DD is finishing college, but I'd consider homeschooling my grandkids (if and when I have any.)

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 5, 2011

This is what my sister has done. We live in a large homeschool community and they are involved in all kinds of classes, groups, activities, etc. I have really seen the benefit of doing it the right way.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 5, 2011

I've honestly considered it for my kids. I am getting laid off next year and I already know how challenging it will be for me to find another teaching position. Meanwhile, my kids are facing larger class sizes and less services. I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but I really dislike that my kids have to move at a pace that is slow enough to accomodate the middle of the pack when I know they are capable of learning so much more. Case in point - I spent an hour teaching my son division last week. We went from learning the concept right into long division. It took an hour. He will now spend weeks in school trying to get to that point. I know if I had my kids home they could be several grade levels ahead because a) they wouldn't have to share me with an entire class, b) we could move at their exact pace rather then the pace of the majority, and c) there'd be far fewer distractions. On the other hand, they absolutely love school and all the social aspects of it. I would hate to take that away from them even knowing that I could give them a better education than their school could.

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2011

I wonder if there are legal issues with homeschooling someone else's kid. Because, as a teacher, the only way I could afford to homeschool is if I would take a couple of other kids along for the ride. But you probably need to be a licensed school of some kind to do that.

I haven't really done much (any) research or math on the matter yet, just fun to ponder.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2011

Bored, you can teach other children. There are many resources on the Internet that could help guide in this should it be something you seriously consider.

12. Amanda

Apr 5, 2011

Check your state's homeschooling laws to be sure. I actually came across something about it for MO. There is a limit of 4 (?) unrelated children here, if I remember correctly.

13. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Apr 5, 2011

This is my newest endeavor. I am currently researching, asking around, browsing homeschool sites, but I still haven't spoken to the "right" person/people yet. In NC it is illegal to homeschool someone else's kid unless you become a certified private school. I am trying to figure out how to do this, market myself, etcetera. My daughter will be of kindergarten age in 2013...2 years! And I would like a maximum of 9 K-aged kids, but need a minimum of 5 kids to be able to afford to do this in 2 years. I am not happy with the way education is headed in my district. I am conducting field tests ALL week this week and these tests are going to count towards teachers' pay starting 2013. I cringe at the thought of my daughter having to endure a K teacher testing EVERY subject, including art, music, PE, media, and computer lab MULTIPLE times of year per subject. I also am afraid all her teachers will just "teach to the test" for sake of getting their "performance pay." Bye-bye creativity, abstract thinking, FUN, field trips, and all that good stuff! :(

14. Amanda

Apr 5, 2011

There is a good homeschooling forum over at www.homeschoolspot.com too if anyone is interested. A to Z runs it as well.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 5, 2011

I homeschooled my kids for a year until life took a dramatically unexpected turn....

16. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 6, 2011

I was home schooled as a child, and I turned out alright, but a number of people my mom tried to get me to "socialize with" at the home school groups had zero social skills. To be blunt, they're typical nerds, and excel academically but fail socially.

For me, it would really depend on my child I guess. I see both the positive and negative sides.

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

I work with a lot of homeschooled families and I think it would be difficult, in general, to make a living from it as a teacher. Obviously, most have a parent who stay home so money is tight. In this area, they already receive free services from the school district or entity that runs the home school, and they form co-ops to run "classes" and do social events. I am not sure that a significant amount could afford to pay a teacher, but I did have one family offer to pay me.

I have seen some fabulous homeschool parents who provide wonderful learning experiences for their children, including social activities. Unfortunately, there are poor parent teachers just like there are poor "real" teachers.

I worry when it is a family homeschooling their kids out of their fears or homeschooling because it is a kid who is struggling socially which just puts them behind more. Yes, many homeschool families joke about "nerdy" boys, who I think really need the pack mentality of a lot of boys together daily to socialize in a way we consider "normal" for boys in our society. I'm not saying it is right - just what I have observed. Homeschooling does seem to be gaining in popularity, though. Ten years ago I had rarely heard of it. Now 2 or 3 families in my classes choose to do it every year.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 6, 2011

I just got off the phone with an old friend. He and his wife are homeschooling their 6 year old and are looking for some additional tutoring a couple of days a week. Since I tutor (when I can get students), this could work out wonderfully for me. I'm going to meet with them soon to learn more.

I know I could have never homeschooled my own kids. They just didn't listen to me well enough and we had enough issues to deal with already.

19. Amanda

Apr 6, 2011

That's exciting Upsadaisy!

My daughter is not eligible for K until 2012 because she misses cutoff by just over a month. However, she has been ready for K since LAST fall. She is self-taught and has been doing kindergarten work all year. She went through K screening and the screener rec'd she start K early and then skip ahead another year after that. :eek: However, she's still a 4 year old. Slightly advanced socially, BUT she still in a 4 year old body... she tires easily and she is just average when it comes to running, jumping, catching, etc. We aren't allowed to start public school early and she can't advance a year until she's almost 7. So, we either pay $$$ and drive back and forth to take her to private school, which is still going to be academically under her, or I homeschool. I feel like maybe a couple of years of homeschool would allow her to grow enough so that if we do decide to move her ahead in a public school we'll have a better idea of where she'll fit in best socially and physically too.

We have tons of co-ops around here. One I'm considering meets one day a week and has a good curriculum. It's like a mini-school and the kids get to go to classes with other kids and are taught by paid "tutors". The curriculum includes Latin which I think is pretty cool. :)

I still don't know what we'll do... the thought is actually pretty overwhelming. :dizzy: I can handle 20+ kindergartners, but my own 3 kids are another story. :lol:

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 6, 2011

After having my child in my preschool class for 2 years... uh.. NO THANK YOU! Let someone else teach her rotten hiney! LOL :D

Besides, I've been in preschool for 12 years. I don't feel I could adequately teach her what she needs to know beyond a certain point. :dizzy:

21. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

Frankly I'd rather just start my own school, but that seems like waaaaay too much work to even think about attempting until my kids are grown, and meanwhile I don't really love any of the local school choices. Also, I'd be sending to a religious/parochial school, so tuition just might be enough $$$$ to make it worth it to quit my job for this. Practically speaking, I'm quite sure this will all stay in the realm of fantasy. Maybe I should just work on singlehandedly reforming one of the local schools within the next 4 years :roll: