Any hikers out there?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by myKroom, Apr 25, 2013.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

So my cousin and her friends are avid hikers and like to do backwoods hikes. They are planning to hike the rim of the Grand Canyon this fall and I am planning to go along. They are beyond me in ability and I know she will help me out this summer when I am home. One of the guys going has already emailed me a general guide on how to get my body prepped for it. I'm just worried because I have grad school classes and I live alone...I'm not too fond of going out on a 5-10 mile hike solo when I'm not back home with them.

Any advice on training or gear?

Thanks!

3. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 26, 2013

Sounds fun!
    I don't know if I'm an official hiker, but I did hike at the Grand Canyon over my spring break. We didn't have a lot of time, but we did hike about halfway down and back up.
    We had to do some of our preparation at the gym, first of all, because it was snowing outside, and second, because it is flat where I live! So we cranked up the incline and practiced that way. Maybe there are some of your workouts that could be done in a gym?

For equipment, there's a great site called SteepandCheap where outdoorsy items are sold one at a time, discounted. Backbacks and hiking boots can be really expensive, so this site was quite a find, and everything we've gotten has been great quality. I got my backback and boots from that site and I love them.

Speaking of boots, get them well in advance and do a lot of your preparation in them to make sure they are comfortable. We got our new boots a little too close to the hike, and we tried to break them in, but wish we would have started ealier.

I think it will definitely be worth the investment of some time-- it is a great feeling to accomplish a big hike, and I found that having an upcoming event to get ready for was really motivating when it came to working out.
    I hope you're able to find time, maybe a hiking buddy or two, and some helpful equipment! Good luck!

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 28, 2013

Thanks! Official or not, any advice is better then nothing! :)

I planned on doing incline at the gym like you said. Although I do have the advantage of having the Loess Hills in my backyard (literally) which will be a great place to do incline, I don't want to do much up there alone...rattle snakes and mountain lions creep up every so often and I really don't want to meet either one alone! They are rare, but with my luck, I don't want to take the chance!

I'm excited to check out that website!