Any high school speech teachers?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mrs. Q, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Apr 10, 2009

I am working on my initial certification in 8-12 journalism and my cooperating teacher this semester for my clinicals is a journalism and speech teacher. I had never imagined teaching speech, but it certainly seems plausible now. Speech is a graduation requirement here in Texas, where journalism obviously is not, so it seems like it would be a great supplement to my certification.

Are there any high school speech teachers who could share some insight into teaching this content area? Is it something you enjoy, or something you felt obligated to teach? Would your recommend it?

3. SSA

SSA Companion

Apr 18, 2009

I am not a speech teacher, but I competed in speech & debate throughout high school and had a very close bond with my high school speech teacher until his death several years ago.

From the various speech teachers I have talked to enjoyment in the subject varies like with anything. That being said I have read that a fair number of people start teaching speech often purely because a job that they interviewed for was looking for someone who could teach speech communication in addition to whatever other subject that they otherwise were teaching.

Texas is somewhat unique in that speech communication is an actual graduation requirement. Therefore, a lot of the students like with any required class will only want to be there because it is required. Unlike a regular elective class where most of the students are marginally interested in the topic I would think that would make teaching the subject harder.

I think that speech communication is a under appreciated academic course especially in the HS level. A lot of students aren't very good at public speaking and it isn't something that gets practiced much in other courses.

If you intend on teaching in Texas it certainly wouldn't hurt to be able to teach it as well since every HS in the state needs at least one teacher to teach speech communication. It may not replace your love for journalism, but you may find that you enjoy teaching speech communication as well.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2009

Chiming in as another non-speech teacher.I coached Speech and Debate for 18 years.

If you're willing to coach forensics, it may very well open doors for you. It would be a huge time committment; meets are held every Saturday (at least on LI and in NYC) and practice is every day after school from about mid September until Nationals on Memorial Day weekend.

As a result, it's incredibly hard to find coaches. I'm fairly sure I got my first job teaching math because I had a forensics background and was willing to coach.

And forensics is an incredibly important activity; lots of top colleges look very highly on it (particularly on the team captain) when they're looking at applications.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

Thanks for the input!! I was very shy in high school and absolutely hated any form of public speaking. It's still difficult for me, but after years of actively trying, I'm much more comfortable with it now. I think that maybe if I'd had a speech teacher who cared (unfortunately, I never really did) that maybe I would have had a little more opportunity to improve my skills. Maybe I'm being too arrogant, but I'm hoping that my shy background will lend me to be a little more understanding of my students who might have trouble in the area. :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2009

Not arrogant at all!!! Someone who has "BTDT" is often the person best able to connect with kids.

Be SURE to mention that at interview time!