Any HELP!!! would be great: Im new teacher to class ages 3-5 yrs.

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Annie.Clover, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Annie.Clover

Annie.Clover Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

I have taught year 2 (for 3 months) then did some nanny work now I have been put in a class of 24 3-5 year olds!!! The oldest I have ever taught is 6 years!!! I am in Australia BUT advice would be the same!...

I have classroom rules set out – what I need is

1. Room decoration: The room is sooo bare what are some easy activities I can do ASAP to brighten it up? ie hanging things from walls? Maybe butterflies/ paintings? Just one or two really good ideas would be fine!!! More wanting help with other two questions.

2. Behaviour problem kids: There are 4 really naughty kids (can I say that!?) 1 especially does not listen to what you say – I haven’t taught yet but went in to observe (start in 6 days!!!) and this child said no to anything you asked - didn’t listen at all and did he own thing!!! I.e. kicked a ball (if I was the teacher which I’m not yet I would have taken it off him!!!) What can I do!? I thought positive reinforcement but I have an inclining that it just isn’t going to work for this one (that is rewards for good behaviour!!!) What can I do if it doesn’t work?

3. Rereading/writing activities: All I can think is modelling writing? Or are they to young? Getting them to trace letters?

Any other advice/ideas would be great!!!

Especially never have had a 3 year old – how do you manage their behaviour!?

Thankyou in advance for any ideas or help! :)

A

3. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Sep 5, 2006

As far as behavior management, I would suggest going here http://consciousdiscipline.com and ordering a copy of Conscious Discipline. It is amazing and is research based. It is my most worn-out book.

As far as writing, I would use tracing pretty sparingly. Maybe try things like having them sculpt letters, or write in shaving cream on a table, or other hands-on things. Also, we do a journal every day. We'd like them to write their name and the lotw, and we also let them draw if they'd like. We come around and date the entries, so you've got 'documented' progress... The little ones sometimes don't start actually writing until after Christmas, but we just try to help them.

Hope some of that helps you.

4. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

My little ones love "writing". The 3's make a lot of circles and happy faces. I give them dry-erase boards that have letters on them to trace (at Wal-Mart for about $3) and also give each child their own Preschool Tablet.

I worked in a church affiliated daycare for a few months and I had 22 3 year olds by myself.....HARD!! I set up several tables/centers and got everyone in a routine. It was rough though. The kids knew to get to the paint table (their favorite) they had to complete each station. After the paint table, they'd go sit on the carpet and enjoy a movie until everyone had completed all the stations. Next was morning snack! After awhile, everyone caught on and things ran much more smoothly. The tables/stations were different everyday. Some Station ideas were legos, Play-doh, stickers/typing paper (kids got to use as many stickers as they liked to create a work of art on the white paper), Marker Table, Dinosaurs, Journals, Shaving cream Explosion, etc.

Good Luck!

5. Annie.Clover

Annie.Clover Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

Thanks guys so much!!!! :O)

Hey guys thanks sooooo much!!!! I will be using some of your ideas and you have helped!!! THANKYOU very much - big hugs from Australia!!! :) From a fellow teacher!
    Ann.

6. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

I can't believe you had this many 3 year olds yourself!! How did you manage toileting/eating etc??

Well done to have such a great routine, it goes to show that procedures are so important!