Any great ideas for packing classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by robin0103, Feb 6, 2007.

1. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

I am working at a year round school for the 2nd year and I really hate packing the classroom every 3 months. :mad: Does anyone have some great ideas which would make it easier so I don't feel so overwhelmed by the time I'm done? Thanks in advance for your great ideas...

3. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 6, 2007

Why do you have to pack the classroom every 3 months....Do you literately have to pack everything?
    That would stink!:eek:

4. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

Yes...when we go off track (4 weeks vacation), we have to be packed because when we return to school we will be in a new classroom.

5. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 6, 2007

that totally stinks...you think they would have that down. i do not have any tips though but i look forward to hearing them because at the end of the year we have to pack up in the two days after school and get out because we are remodeling the school.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 6, 2007

We have to pack up completely at the end of each 9 month school year. It is a drag and takes forever. I can't imagine doing it every 3 months.

One thing that helped me was getting all my themes and monthly things in totes. I use from the tote, then it is packed up when I am done, and ready to be moved. Can you keep all your texts and other books on rolling shelves? Then cover them with b.b. paper when it is time to move them? Do they have to be boxed???? ugh.

Good luck. Only other thing I can think of is, could you make an agreement with other teachers to leave bulletin board backgrounds up for each other? I guess if you have to pack up so much you get your room pretty streamlined huh?

7. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 7, 2007

We have 2 rolling carts. Anything that won't fit in them has to be boxed. I like the idea of dividing themes by month. I was thinking of keeping boxes turned sideways on top of the cart & then when I'm done I could just turn them upright & put the lid on.
    We do leave up the bulletin board for the next teacher. I have learned not to hold on to lots of extra "stuff." It is still time consuming & I feel like we waste instructional time & lots of our own time trying to get packed up every 3 months & then unpacking when we return.

8. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Feb 7, 2007

We have a teacher who uses small book shelves. She keeps the books on the shelves and wraps the entire bookshelf in clear plastic wrap (several times). Then she moves the entire bookshelf into storage. Saves on boxes and packing and unpacking. You could also put wheels on the bottom of the shelves for easy transportation.

9. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Feb 7, 2007

Why do you change classrooms every time? I'm unfamiliar with how the year round thing works so I'm curious.

10. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 7, 2007

Year round serves more students. For example, we have four 6th grade teachers but only 3 rooms. We work 3 months on & then have 1 month off. I'm off in October, February, & June. When I pack my room at the end of January, the teacher who was off in January will be returning to work in my room. When I go back at the beginning of March, I will be in the classroom of the teacher who is going on vacation for that month. We must rotate every 3 months in order to have an available classroom.

11. Fletcher

Fletcher Rookie

Feb 7, 2007

Wow that is very interesting, I have always thought our schools here should be all year. Do the children work well with it. Do they get a month off too. As far as packing, I would say that totes and themes are the best way to go. I do that for my units as my classroom environment changes for each unit and grade level. Try to rely on student produced work for decoration...it would be easily disposable at the end of each term. Precise organization of materials and lots of labels.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 8, 2007

I agree with others. Pack your themes together. I would also get different colored plastic tubs. For one session of 3 months use blue, for the next use red (and so on). That way you only have to open one set at a time, and don't waste time unpacking unnecessary items. I would also take a picture or make a list of the items in each box and tape to the outside. That way you can just look at your list instead of going through every item in the box.

13. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

Yes, the students work well with it & have the month off, too. They are usually bored by the end of the month & happy to be back.
    The teachers work 2 duty days after the kids are off. We used to have 1 day before the kids came back to set up our classrooms. Now we only have 1/2 day before they return to set up our classrooms. It makes it really tough because it is never enough time to get ready.

14. Randy

Randy New Member

Feb 9, 2007

packing

I taught in a "mobile" and had to pack up during construction. The mobile carts really saved the day.