Any fun stuff we can do on Christmas OTHER than exchange gifts?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 18, 2008

The economy is really bad right now and considering that my Mom is retired, Aunt is on a reduced, fixed income, brother and cousin just bought houses and Dad has a lot of debt he's paying off, everyone's a little strapped for cash right now. So my Aunt said she doesn't want to exchange gifts this year, she just wants to have dinner.

Everyone's fine with that, but we're kind of wondering what we're going to do because normally we gab and talk about old times during dinner and then the evening is made by exchanging gifts, laughing and talking about who got what, oohing and ahhing over packages.

What else can we do for fun? See a movie? Play games (my Aunt can't read very well and due to an injury, she is confined to a wheelchair and has difficulty moving her arms, so i think most board games like Monopoly are out)

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 18, 2008

You could do a White Elephant gift exchange. Everybody has to bring something they already own. Could be a small gift box full of bread wrapper ties! Or a set of nice glasses you haven't used. Anything. Wrapped and you draw numbers to see who goes first/ Each time someone has a turn, they can keep the gift they unwrap or trade it for one already unwrapped.

I think Balderdash is a great game for a group, but it does involve some writing. You could play the games with partners. You could play Apples to Apples, which doesn't require writing and would be good with partners. It is a fun game. Then maybe watch a good movie - The Nativity, Elf, Christmas Story. The kids could make gingerbread houses w/graham crackers.

Good for you all for cutting back! I think the spending has been out of hand for years, and really, what do any of us really need? Some gloves, socks, special candy. It's all good!

4. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 18, 2008

Watch a movie while lounging on the couch...! Can't wait to do that!

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 18, 2008

I would say watch a movie...make a really good dessert, light a fire and relax!

Or play some games...there's no reason your aunt can't play a board game...such as trivial pursuit where you only move your piece around the board, I'm sure another family member can do that for her. Or play teams, then her teammate can help!

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 18, 2008

Trivial pursuit would be great and the kids love to have the job of moving all the pieces. I was also thinking Pictionary, and your aunt would be the guesser each time and her partner the drawer. That is really fun!

7. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

or a game like Taboo. Where you are trying to guess a phrase but there are certain words you can not say for your hints.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 18, 2008

A few years ago, my brother recommended that my family "draws names" to see who we are buying for so we're really only buying for 1 person in addition to our spouse so that helps out.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2008

We are uploading fam pix to Walgreen's site, then doing a white elephant & bringing stuff to donate to a local food bank!!!!

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 18, 2008

My family is so big we used to do this same thing. There would also be a monetary limit as well. I remember the rule was once you were 18 you could draw a name. I couldn't wait til I was 18 to do the "grown up" game. Well...I never got to! When I was about 16 my family started moving out of state and the ones that didn't just do their own thing...so I never got the chance! Oh well...but it is a good idea!! :)

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 18, 2008

Every year my cousins would give my mom a movie. So on Christmas Day after lunch we would all watch it together. It was a nice way to relax before dinner.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 18, 2008

We've eliminated the family gift exchange. We eat and play cards (usually shang-hi rummy), have a glass of wine or a margarita, hee-haw with each other, get caught up. It's a great time.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2008

My family always got a big puzzle and set it out on the dining table after dinner. Whoever wanted to work on it could ... or you can just pass by every once in a while and help with a few pieces.

I'd also say pot luck, have Christmas music playing, rent a few movies (so you all pick one everyone wants to see), and keep the activities informal - so some can work on the puzzle while others watch a movie and others hang in the kitchen and chat, etc. And take a lot of pictures ... it always boosts the party spirit to have someone goofing around with a camera!

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Sounds like fun. I'll be by myself all evening. Son is working in order to get time and a half. Other family members have passed or are up north.

I think I'll borrow the idea of getting a puzzle. And pop a good movie in. Load up on loaded hot chocolate and Christmas cookies. Call everyone up and chat. Sleep. Play with the kitties.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2008

I agree w/ going to the movies or renting a couple.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

Ask everyone to bring an old photo album and go at it!!

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2008

We were just down visiting family & our fav card games are Phase 10 & Skip Bo!!! We were up until about 3am playing Phase 10. The funny thing is it is so much fun & we had such a good time just hanging out!!!