any fun geometry ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by calalily18, Jan 12, 2008.

1. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

i am looking for new/fun/creative ways to teach transformations and also solid figures. does anyone have any fun ideas? thanks!

3. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jan 12, 2008

Anything hands on. We make solid figures. I give the kids the nets/jackets and we cut and tape. Then when we talk about faces, edges, and vertices, the kids have have their own models to practice with. I also use tangram sets and the overhead to practice transformations. Each child gets their own little baggie of shapes. (I have a class set, but you could make them out of construction paper.)

4. kkrosesmom

kkrosesmom Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Geoboards are great if you can get some!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2008

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 12, 2008

I agree that hands-on projects are definitely the way to go! I also have my students make solid figures--if you don't want to make them out of paper, you can use toothpicks and marshmallows. For transformations, I have them cut a shape out of construction paper, then copy it on geodot paper. Then they draw it again as a slide, flip, and turn.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 12, 2008

I did the marshmallow and toothpick thing last year for a student teaching evaluation... it went quite well...

8. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Jan 13, 2008

I know a 4th grade teacher that does geometric aerobics. The kids have the make specific angles with their arms. Demonstrate things like lines, rays, segments, shapes, point to different shapes, "jump one time for each corner of a square, draw a circle, etc." I teach 8th grade and I plan to do this when get get closer to geometry.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 13, 2008

I have a lot of the magnetix toys for indoor recess, and we use them to build solids and it works great. I have also done the toothpick and marshmallow or gumdrop to build solids. We also build a geodesic dome that is big enough to sit in!

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 13, 2008

I remember making solid figures using pipe cleaners and straws cut to the sizes of each straight edge. I think there were four or five we had to make: pyramid (4 sides), cube, octagon, dedoctagon, and mabe cone. It was a project for pairs we did after the figures being introduced in class.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 13, 2008

Oooh, magnetix. Great idea. My kids are making them out of paper. I will make them into mobiles when they are done.

I use graph paper for transformations. If I have the right size paper for my geometric figures, they can use those, too.

12. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 13, 2008

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 20, 2008

Gum drops, the small spicey ones, & toothpicks are fun & tastey!

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 20, 2008

It's also fun to let them find the shapes in the real world. Take walks with your kids and a digital camera (or put them in groups each with a camera if you have them). I've done it two ways: I simply tell them they have to find X number of shapes, or I make it into a scavenger hunt. For transformations I practice with individual white boards. I have a set of shapes that I have cut out (some letters, some shapes) and they show the transformation I call out. Our biggest issue with transformations is vocabulary. Up until 4th grade they call them flips, turns, and slides. We change that to reflections, rotations, and translation. Even when they know the moves they have a hard time with the vocabulary. (This is part of the state curriculum, I don't know why they've done it.)

15. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

I did that for a mini-lesson once, but now I think I'll do it as a transition type of thing between activities. :)