Any fun for place value??

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by dreaming_luke, Aug 29, 2007.

1. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I've decided to narrow down my math center and focus on the skill/concept that I am teaching/focussing on. It will change as the concept taught changes. I have scoured the internet, books, etc., until I just can't do anymore. Hours and hours :yawn:

I know you are all a great resource :up: sooo, anyone have any hands on activities, manipulative games or anything that would reinforce place value? I have a few but want a lot to pull from for low kids as well as those who need a challenge. :) Thanks a bunch

3. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

No fun for me?
    No fun for you?
    Place value needs some fun activities too!!!

What are the tens,
    What are the ones,
    Why oh why can't place value be more fun?

Tens and hundreds,
    Thousands and millions,
    blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah illions.

hmm, hmmm, hmmmm, hm.... bored.... still waiting....

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2007

I'm starting the year with place value, and on my "To Do" list today is to go through some of my resources to find something new to do with my kids. I'll post this afternoon if I come up with anything more interesting than base 10 blocks and place value charts.

5. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

Thanks Mrs. C:)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 30, 2007

I don't think I'd really spend much time trying to make it fun, to be honest. 6th graders should be pretty proficient at place value.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2007

Arghhh...a 3-hour meeting today kept me from pulling any resources to plan my first unit; I'm trying again for tomorrow. (The meeting was a good one though, looking at our school needs and starting to create timetables for our teaching assistants to best support those needs.)

8. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

2/3 of my class are high risk, FAS, and live with neither parent. We have extremely low numeracy scores, so part of my goal this year is to make math meaningful and fun. Taking a different approach may get some different results. These kids aren't proficient with much if anything in math at all, but they do respond to having some fun. Life isn't fun for them, some of my kids have had a harder life by 11 than I will ever see. School and learning is not #1 priority so I'm trying to make school fun and then sneak in some learning through hands on activities and games. It's about the only way that I may be able to connect.

9. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

Thanks Mrs. C... no worries. I don't actually get my class until next Friday, and we certainly won't be tackling much until the following week sometime. I do appreciate your time and effort! :)

10. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Sep 2, 2007

One thing I've done in the past is to pair the students, each pair gets a deck of cards, with face cards removed...(students can also make their own cards, or dice work well also...5 per pair), shuffle the cards and give each student 5 cards to start, they have to see who came come up with the largest number using the cards they have...you can throw in a decimal to make it more interesting and switch it around to see who can make the smallest number...my kids enjoyed it and it was a good way to review place value...
    With the dice, I have the student take turns rolling the dice and using the same numbers they see who can make the larger number...again a decimal can be thrown in to make it more interesting...
    They can reflect in their journals or as a ticket out, what worked and what didn't

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

Here's another: (I hope this is clear)
    Use plastic cups and label each with a "place"--ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. Place in a group on the floor (don't put into any particular order). The student takes 15 paperclips and drops them one at a time from shoulder height into the cups. When all have been dropped, the student checks the label on the cup, counts the number of paperclips in each and then records the number.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

I'm seeing if any of these ideas work for 4th as well! Sounds good. Thank you. :)

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

That does clarify a lot. I teach extra assistance/ESE math, for example, and they do need the hands-on at times. :) Type in Laura Candler into google, too, because she has a few things for place value.

14. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Sep 8, 2007

Calculator Fish

1. Students pair up.
    2. Each students types in a four digit number (whatever they want!) (i.e. Student A = 4765, Student B = 5800).
    3. Student A asks Student B if they have any 8s in their number. If Student B DOES, they say whether is ones, tens, hundreds or thousands (hundreds). Students A then ADDS 800 to their number, while Student B SUBTRACTS 800. The first student to get 0, loses. If Student B did not have the number, they say go fish.
    NOTE: If student B had two 8s, they choose which place value to remove (i.e. tens OR hundreds).

It seems a bit confusing at first, but upper primary students love it!

15. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Great ideas and have put most of them into my class and are working very well. :D

16. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for posting this dreaming luke, I just started the chapter on decimals and my students are totally confused about tens and tenTHS so all of these ideas will work for us to reinforce the place value! AND I think that the HANDS-ON time is SOOO valuable! Good for you for trying to incorporate it more!!! They have been and will be for years to come WORKSHEETED to death! : )