Any Fun For Fractions???

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by mommee03, Oct 21, 2007.

1. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Oct 21, 2007

Does anyone have any good activities/lesson plans for fractions? My students will be adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions and I can't come up with anything good.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 21, 2007

Can you be more specific? I spend almost all year when teaching 5th to cover those topics.

I start out by having them see patterns in equivalent fractions. 3/6 = 5/10 because the top/down pattern is double the numerator equals the denominator. Then I show them a side-by-side pattern. I do this at the beginning of the year before they have been taught common denominators or anything. It seems to take the pressure off and makes it like a puzzle. I would put a couple of them up on the board each morning for bell work. Then I would leave out one numerator and have them find it by looking for the pattern.

4. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Dec 6, 2007

it might seem lame...

but my kids loved this yesterday!
    I broke the kids up into pairs and gave them a pair of dice. Player 1 rolls both of the dice. The smaller number becomes the numerator, the larger is the denominator. Then, player 1 rolls again for the second fraction, and adds the fractions together. Player 2 does the same thing and whoever comes up with the largest sum, wins a point for the round. We did a round for each operation: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. In order to win each round, they have to come up with the larger fraction. It was so simple, and they just loved it! For my higher students, I had them use improper fractions, instead of just simple fractions. They really started to see how fractions work and were thinking logically about how they could create the bigger fraction. We used this as review for our test.

5. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 7, 2007

I always use geometry to teach the concept of fraction, addition and subtraction. For instance, a chocolate divided into small equal rectangles or a cake divided into equal sectors.

6. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jan 11, 2008

Recipes are also fun to use when teaching fractions.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 11, 2008

Teacheroo, that sounds like a good activity. I just finished working on multiplying and dividing fractions and some of my kids definitely need some follow up work to help understand it better. This could be a fun thing to do with them.

8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jan 28, 2008

I found some fraction cards in my classroom last week... today my kids played War with them and tomorrow they'll do a Fraction Match game with equivalent fractions. You could probably make something similar pretty quickly if you've got a parent helper.

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 29, 2008

Get a books called Hands On activities for Fractions. It is a gem.

10. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 20, 2008

With 5th grade I did M&M's with fractions. Each kid got a bag of M&M's (either fun sized, or I got a big bag and divided them up into snacksized ziplock bags). You can find the fraction for each color that you have, reduce them, add 1 color plus another color, subtract one color from another color (where it's applicable). I'm sure you can multiply or divide it as well! The kids always like it because they can put their hands on it and SEE it, plus when they're done, they get to eat them!

11. em26stj

em26stj Rookie

Mar 6, 2008

fraction cards seem like a great way to teach them and have fun at the same time. I think I would like to use them next year. Did the students enjoy playing war?

12. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 9, 2008

13. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 22, 2008

Have you ever heard of Miss Fraction? It was a book of stories about fractions. Then, the kids wrote their own. This was back about 10 years ago, and my colleague used it. Try a search for Miss or Ms. Fraction online.

14. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

I've done this also! We were making cookie mix jars and they were to make their own winter gifts. I only made one change with the materials (hee hee hee :lol:) Each group only got one measuring device!

one table would get the 1/8 tsp, another would get the 1/4 tsp, ``the recipe called for 1/2 tsp :whistle:

I did the same with the measuring cups :whistle:

We discussed what could happen if the recipe wasn't measured properly. ;)

There was a lot of discussion on equivalent fractions, multiplying fractions, dividing fractions, problem solving, whole to part, part to whole.....

One tip.... make sure they have some background on fractions before you start. My students retained their knowledge of fractions after this lesson.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2008

great ideas! thanks everyone!