Any Florida 4th grade teachers here?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by springmac, Jul 10, 2012.

1. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 10, 2012

If so, can you recommend andy good resources to help prep me for teaching writing this year? Previously taught fifth, but moved to fourth. Writing is such a huge focus, I want to be prepared. TIA

3. missdeee

missdeee New Member

Jul 11, 2012

I am a new 4th grade teacher in Florida also! This will be my first year teaching so any resources/advice will be welcomed!

4. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 12, 2012

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching, missdeee! What part of Florida are you in?

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

You might want to check with your school first. Many Florida districts have their own programs already in place.

here is a website from DOE that talks about the writing.
    http://www.fldoe.org/asp/fw/

You could also check the SSS on the DOE site for specific skills required for 4th grade.

The debacle that was writing scoring this year for Florida is probably going to have many districts rethinking their writing program. I wouldn't invest too much time or energy into specific programs until you have talked with people at your school.

Good luck...have a great year. I am moving back up to 5th grade but I have taught many years in 4th. You will have a wonderful time with that age group!

6. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 12, 2012

I agree...that was quite a mess they had this year! That's why I'm so nervous to teach fourth grade! Thanks for the info. I will have the option to go back to fifth, or continue to teach fourth after this school year...we shall see what I think of fourth!

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

Looking back on the writing this year, I think the best advice I can come up with is to really focus on grammar, sentence structure, and spelling. The new scoring system focuses on those skills much more than before.

Continue to work on organization and leave out all the "fluff". Use good anecdotes and back everything up with solid examples. That will go a long way to moving scores upward.

8. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 13, 2012

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. Last year was my first year in Florida, and I taught fifth grade. I previously taught fourth grade in Pennsylvania, but we moved down to Florida when my husband was transferred. I was shocked to learn my fifth graders knew nothing of grammar and mechanics. No punctuation, terrible spelling...but they could write beautifully! I mean, elaboration, vivid words....they had that going on! I'm actually glad they are looking at grammar and mechanics as well. There has to be a happy medium somewhere!