Any Dreamweaver experts? Or any web-creation program?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jenny G, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I'm recreating our school's website and have done a pretty good job so far. It has been a matter of doing something, deciding I want to add something, but I can't do that now, it had to be done first, so I recreate again. Apply, repeat. I'm having a good time, but now I'm stumped.

Can I use frames on a template? I've tried making a new template and putting the frames first, but I don't get that option. Which leads me to think that I can't do it, but I see it on pages.

Maybe I don't need a frame. I want to have a bank of buttons on the left side for all of the links. I would show you the old way the site looked, but I replaced it last night.

Does any of this make sense?

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 9, 2007

Try using tables to put your left side of links along the page content. After you insert the table, you can adjust the width of the columns. I would completely avoid frames when building a website unless there is a good reason to have them.

4. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 9, 2007

5. Amanda

Aug 9, 2007

I looked at their source code and it says it was created with a web designer program from http://www.v-com.com/

You can do something better with Dreamweaver. :)

You will want to create a table with 2 columns. The left column will need to be approx. 160 pixels wide and the main column will need to be about 600 pixels wide. If you want the design to go across the entire screen you can use percentages instead. I think once you insert a table into your dreamweaver template and play around with it you'll see how tables can help you lay out your design.

6. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Amanda,

Thanks for all of the help. I've been playing with the tables and decided to go a different way. But no frames, I promise! :lol:

I can't get the links to work right but I'm taking a break and will go back to it in a bit.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

7. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I did not and would not use frames unless you must especially in Dreamweaver. You can do just about anything you want with tables. Here is my site I mad it on "frontpage" (Microsoft's version of Dreamweaver) http://gischools.org/middleschool/Raupp/index.htm

8. Amanda

Aug 9, 2007

What is the different way that you are going to use? I'm not sure how you'll be able to get content side by side without tables. That's the most efficient and simple way that I am aware of.

I never thought of this earlier, but I'll bet you could run a google search for free dreamweaver templates and get a starting point for your design.

9. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 9, 2007

That is similar to what I want to do. I like how the title at the top scales down with the page size.

Here is the current, very basic page.

http://www.mdusd.k12.ca.us/meadowhomes

I'm not keen on the graphic at the top, but the principal would like to keep it. I added buttons under the graphic for the other pages. I wanted these on the left side, but couldn't make it work. But now I have the buttons, but they don't work. They work on the template, but not on the actual pages.

10. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 9, 2007

To get it to scale up and down all you have to do is not lock its size. You will want it to "fit in screen." I dont remember exactly how dreamweaver works but I thought there was an alignment option in the properties for each table you use. You should also be able to lock the buttons where you want them. I still HIGHLY recoment using tables. If you want to use buttons just put them in the table and make all of the "table" no color and you wont be able to see it. My whole site is built with tables and you cant see any.