Any DC (area) Teachers? How do YOU commute?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss84, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I live in the DC metro area, and for the last 2 years, I was at a school outside the city that didn't bring me much joy, but my commute was perfect (about 15-20 min, opposite of rush hour traffic).
    I will be at a school in the district this year, and to be honest the thought of this commute is terrifying me. I've seen the nightmare that is 95/495/395 in the mornings going the opposite way, and it made me want to cry.
    I did relocate from the VA to the MD side, to have more options in case of inclement weather (bus/metro), and to literally be closer. But I'm still scared of this commute for some reason.
    I'm curious to know how the rest of you get to work!

3. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

Yay, you're like me! I live on the MD side of the metro DC area and will also be commuting into DC this year! I, too, am scared of the commute as I will be driving to SE and I live up 270N. I plan on taking 495E to work in the morning (to avoid GW PKWY in the morning) and going through the city in the evening (which might be a horrible idea). If you don't mind me asking, are you working for a charter or a school within DCPS? I'm glad to know there is someone else on here that is in the same exact boat I am!

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

I think it depends on timing. We live in Annapolis and my husband commutes to DC...near the Nationals Stadium, to Ft. McNair. If he left by 6:45, he could be at work by 7:45. If he left at 7, he wouldn't be there until 9. That 15 minute span changed everything. If he was coming home mid-day, no traffic, it's usually a 35 minute ride.

5. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

Oh wow-that is a distance for you! I am on the PG side right off of 495, so maybe I shouldn't be complaining.:haha: I will be *hopefully* taking the pkwy into NW on the days I have class, and take the metro the other days (i'm about 5-10 min from the blue line). My main anxiety is going to come this winter, with the snow. Most DC schools won't close which means I still have to trek into work. I'll be at a new private, thought about DCPS, I'm still working on their ridiculously long application process. :dizzy:

6. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, I wish my school were in NW because that would be better from where I live. We've thought about Bowie and College Park but I really love the red line (for some strange reason). I think I remember the schools in DC closing quite a bit during the winter. Plus, if it's bad enough and city government closes, the schools are almost assuredly closed. And I thought about DCPS but then thought about my time in Baltimore City and changed my mind. Quickly! :)

7. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

LOL yea, I haven't heard to many peachy stories about DCPS, the pro is they do pay well. Are you at a charter or private? Do you know how the traffic will be on the pkwy around 5:30isham?? I've taken the pkwy during the rush hour (3:30) and made it from the city to my house in 30 min. I am hoping this will be the case once school starts! :)

8. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, DCPS does pay pretty well as do many of the districts around here. I'm at a charter in DC. I think 5:30am would be completely fine and you would likely encounter next to no one on the beltway at that time. I think you'll probably be fine with the traffic. My day is super long because my school is on extended day so I won't be leaving SE until 5:15-5:30 each day. I'm just hoping my commute will be more like 45 minutes instead of over an hour.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 12, 2011

DCPS rarely closes. For a lot of kids, that's where they get their healthiest/only meals of the day (shudder). The VA burbs close at the drop of a hat, due to lots of hilly semi-rural roads and litigious lawyer parents. Two years ago when we had a record-breaking year for snow fall, some of the surrounding counties lost two weeks of school, plus a whole bunch of delayed openings. DCPS was out for maybe 4. They may delay the opening, but they usually open!

I live near enough to my school that I don't have commuting problems. I can take side roads. :cool: I lived in two apartments before this place, though. One had a 35 minute commute in the morning (1/2 against traffic) and a 45 minute or 1 hour commute in the evening.

10. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, I guess DC gets out less than other areas around here. Guess I'm most used to the burbs and their closings. Miss84, does your school follow the DCPS schedule?

11. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

:eek:at that drive! Hopefully your commute will be under an hour. I have to be at work by 7, so I figure I'd leave around 5:30-5:45 to get ahead of the traffic. We are going to follow the Fed. Gov schedule, so hopefully that works in my favor this winter.:D:

12. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

You're right. DCPS rarely closes. I've been here for two years and even when we had the two weeks off with the snowmeagedon, DCPS was not closed nearly as long as my school was in Virginia.

My neighbor teaches in DC and I feel sorry for him. He leaves so early in the morning for the commute and gets home so late. It doesn't matter if he drives in or takes the Metro. The pay is very good in DC but I don't know if I could stand the communte. He spends between 3 - 4 hours daily commuting. And if you aren't out of DC when a holiday approaches its even longer. This whole area DC, Maryland, Virginia is TERRIBLE for traffic! Where I work lots of people spend at least 1 hour each way in traffic some say it takes them 2 hours on Fridays going down 95/395/495 or 66. YUCK!

13. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

My understanding is to avoid 66 like the plague!!!! But since I don't live in VA that's not really an issue for me.

14. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

Yea 66 has to be the worst interstate, EVER. I traveled that route when I lived out in that area, and getting to and from DC will drive anyone insane. This whole area is the worst as far as traffic is concerned, but I can say that traffic seems to be worse on the VA side than on this side, for me anyway.