Any creative or interesting things in your classroom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, May 11, 2010.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

May 11, 2010

Do you guys have any creative or interesting things for your classroom. Anything you put on your wall and use with the kids? Anything to help with classroom management or anything fun? I hope you guys get what I mean. Let me know your thoughts

3. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 11, 2010

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I have a 3 ring binder in the room where I'm documenting all of the artwork the children have been making with play-doh for them to look at and reference. I am planing on doing it with other things like blocks, art, and class projects too.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 12, 2010

Put some contact paper on the wall, with the sticky side out. Use lightweight items to put on and take off. PSers really like to take off better. I use Christmas Bows.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 12, 2010

I have some artifacts like a chunk of coal, a stone from the Maine coast that is very smooth due to weathering, two bottles of ash from Mt. St. Helens, some shells, petrified wood, moccasins. They are either in my closet if they are irreplaceable or on display beside the TV or on a bookshelf, table, etc. I like the idea of a hands-on museum.

6. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

May 12, 2010

My dramatic play area is a Garden Center right now - we have kid sized gardening gloves, silk flowers, a book with seed packets and seeds in it (I made the book - took seeds out of the packets and put them in the snack sized baggies and taped them to a paper and wrote something to the effect of : When these seeds grow, they'll grow into...and then taped the seed packet), kid sized gardening tools, flower pots and a watering can. My class spends hours in the "Garden Center'!! :) (One girl has even made it her "job" to match up all the gloves at the end of the day)

7. Liljag

Liljag Companion

May 13, 2010

We have been studying a large anthill near the school for about a month now (here we have a type of ant called a "forest ant" that can build anthills that can be 6/7 feet tall). We made a gigantic anthill on the wall, drew lots of ants based on the ones we saw doing many different things then continued the scene butterflies, pillbugs, etc next to the anthill then incorporated a lake with fish and a fishing pond (where you can hopefully catch a paper fish). The scene now takes up an entire wall. Hard to describe, maybe I should post a picture :).

Anyways, if one of the kids are sad or not having a good day and are not interested in talking, I ask them to make an ant or a fish for the wall or go fish in the pond until they are ready to talk about it . It really seems to calm them down and they enjoy adding insects to the wall.

8. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 13, 2010

I have a pond hanging on my wall. It's made of blue and green streamers threaded on fishing line and hung up to the ceiling. It's about 6 feet wide. I stapled our art work to it. It has lilypads and frogs so far. Last month it was the ocean.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 13, 2010

My people love that activity!!!!

10. teacherR

teacherR Companion

May 13, 2010

Yesterday I found a plank outside and I turned it into a ramp that the kids could roll things down. We have lots of strange odds and ends in our room that the kids play with. Right now they like golf balls. We have salamander larve that we found in the pond behind the property and that we watched hatch in a fish tank someone donated. Last week we had a real fish(dead) from the market that the kids could touch and examine.

Most of our wall space is designated to the childrens art work. They are able to tape things wherever they want to display them. We seem to always have weird and unusual items in our room. I think sometimes our parents think we are a little strange but that's okay the kids like it.

11. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

May 16, 2010

I am still teaching Pre-K (for one more week!!) but just found out that I will loop to Kindergarten next year...

I put hooks on the front of my metal bookcases and hung pocketcharts from them. Now my unsightly bookcases are covered and the kids have more space to manipulate letters, numbers, rhyming cards, flashcards, etc.

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 23, 2010

classroom management: Each center has a label with velcro on it. If I allow (do to space/items available) 2 children in the center at a time then there are 2 velcro pieces, if I allow 4 there are 4 etc. There is a playtime poster on the wall with name tags on it. The children take their name tag and place it on the sign for the center they wish to play at. If there are no more velcro spots,they know the area is full and have to play elsewhere.

A popular item in my room right now is a bunch of laminated papers (tracing,numbers,letters,mazes, various worksheets etc) and dry erase markers.

I also have large foam blocks that I covered with white paper and put letters on each side and another set with numbers and "laminated"them with clear packing tape. They roll them across the floor and shout out the letter or number that lands on top. They also use them to build towers etc.

I love to find random items and put them in the classroom just to see what they will do with them. Large pieces of cardboard turn into rivers or ramps or boats --all kinds of things.