any combination class teachers out there?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by anniefan, Jul 14, 2008.

1. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

We will probably be having a 2/3 combination class this year at our school. I am interested in finding out what you think about your combination classes.

1. What grades do you have?
    2. What are the advantages of a split class?
    3. What are the disadvantages?
    4. Any advice...

Thanks for the info!

3. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say, as well. I just got an offer for a 5/6 combo class, and while I am familiar with the school (all the classes are split because of low enrollment), I would love more info (it will be my first full-time job).

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

I am reading this a little late but thought I would give you my :2cents:. I will be teaching a 3/4 combo class but only for Math/Handwriting/Bible. ( I will also teach those subjects to a 2 grade and 5th grade class)

I have previous experience in teaching 1/2 and 2/3 grades. It is alot of work for the teacher and how hard it is to do successfully depends on you and the students. I am worried this year as I believe that the 4th graders are at a high level and the 3rd graders are low...so that makes for a big gap. I would prefer the 2/3 grades to be together but I am speaking about the particular students I know are in the classes.

Having a full time assistant is really helpful.

I will be teaching by concept and assigning work at the level they are at and pray that this will work. Otherwise I will rotate one grade at centers while I teach to other grade and so on.

5. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

Thanks Matt! I am assuming that you are at a Christian school also. (Because of Bible!) How is your enrollment? Our school hasn't had to have combined classes in about 15 years!

6. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 18, 2008

I taught a 5/6 split my first year. it was pretty miserable honestly. I still feel like I did a terrible injustice to those kids. It was a tough class though, in public school. My kids were all off-loads (from another school) and all together I had 46 kids come through my class. I had one join the last two weeks of school. I had kids come in the middle of the year and leave 3 weeks later. I had foster kids, kids who had been in jail, kids who had been expelled, kids who were learning to read CVC words. It was an interesting experience. :haha: Advantages were that I got really good at behavior management and differentiating instruction. Disadvantages: bringing home 8 text books each weekend to plan, being schizophrenic during class and accidentally teaching 5th grade lessons to 6th grade or vice versa, kids not getting enough direct instruction, kids not getting the attention they need. Overall, I think its a bad idea for kids unless they are picked specifically for a combo (like all the high 5th graders and lower 6th graders) so they are closer together in ability level. It did make me a stronger teacher though!

7. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

Annie-- you are correct I am at a Christian School although the school has been here for 50 years we are just now expanding through 5th grade (before we just did preK & Kindergarten) our # are K-5-- 35 kids, 1st--22 kids, 2nd--22 kids, 3rd--6 kids, 4th--18 kids, 5th--11 kids
    But we are departmentalizing for the first time and my homeroom will be the 3/4 combo.

Teacher---that sounds like a tough first year. Most of the time in private you have it much easier as the parents really stay on top of the kids--on the down side the parents can be very demanding and take alot of your time. Most parents are great though.

Scooter---like I said it all depends on the levels of the students. If they are closer like high 5th and low 6th it will be better---and the older the more independent work can be done. But that said I do believe that any teacher with a split class deserves extra pay! IMHO