Any coaches here?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by WrestlingMan, Sep 17, 2006.

1. WrestlingMan

WrestlingMan Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

I coach high school boy's wrestling and I am finding more parents who want to tell me how to coach and how to handle the boys' locker room conduct. It is week two of "training" and I just feel like the parents want each boy to be a superstar wrestler.
    When wrestling starts I will refuse to coach to my boys OVER the parents yelling from the sidelines. I have had some talks in the past and now it looks like it is getting worse.
    Jake

3. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Sounds like it's time for a parent meeting. Tell them what you expect of them and what they can expect of you. Use the twenty four hour rule. I'm not a coach, but my daughter has played select sports for more years than I can count and now varsity sports, and this usually works. Good luck. Parents can really be a pain when they're not being helpful.

4. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

At my high school, the athletic office turned into a big social club of coaches. One coach hid that he was really coming in just to talk by saying they were arranging the games three months in advance, which they do not need the coaches for. Does your athletic office have a bunch of coaches that come in just to talk?

5. WrestlingMan

WrestlingMan Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

talkers

Yeah I do have some coaches that come in just to talk and shoot the breeze. I try to get to discuss philosophy and strategy but they want to talk about their sex life or drill me about how I lift weights & my work out routine.
    Jake

6. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Oct 23, 2006

Yours is a real problem in a lot of places. Our school has an athletic "Code of Conduct" including a part for parents, too - you might want to consider putting one together for your school...I'll bet if you Google something like "sports conduct code" or the like, you'd find examples on the internet.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 23, 2006

That's part of the reason that I quit coaching the academic team after five years. I really loved working with the kids, but the parents were driving me nuts. One mother in particular was hard to handle. I'd had dealings with the son for two years, and then little sister came along and I just couldn't do it for three more years with her!

The biggest issues I had were parents who wanted their kids to play when they'd missed practices . . . they had their kids in every activity out there. The other issue was that they wanted their kid to play all the time, but they always wanted to win . . . and those things just don't always happen.