Any Chicago Public School teachers out there?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sarah2115, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Sarah2115

Sarah2115 New Member

Aug 5, 2009

Hi All,

I recently graduated with my Masters in Elementary Ed. I am now on the job hunt. I am 28 and in my previous career life, I was a corporate event planner. I live in Chicago and see how tough it is to get hired by Chicago Public Schools. I was offered a 2nd grade position at a catholic school which I think I am going to take so I can at least get my feet wet and have my own classroom. Many of my friends from my program are going to sub or be aides as they are also having trouble finding jobss. I had an interview with a CPS school yesterday and think I bombed it. I was interviewed by a panel of 10 people and couldn't shake my nerves. The interview at the catholic school went way better. I guess you can't win them all :) Anyway, if I do take this job at the catholic school, will it still be possible to break into CPS for the next school year? How do I do that? I have sent so many resumes and never heard back until a friend of a friend got me this interview. Do you absolutely have to have a connection? Has anyone out there ever gotten hired on their own--just by sending in/faxing/dropping off resumes? When should I start looking for the 2010/2011 school year? Thanks in advance!!

Sarah

3. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Aug 5, 2009

Most of the people that I know who work/worked for CPS got their jobs through connections. It's such a political mess over there. They obviously need good teachers, yet they never seemed to be hiring general elementary teachers. If there is a posting, you can send them everything under the moon and not get acknowledged. I actually did get two interviews in some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. I left both interviews with such a bad impression of the administrators that I quickly declined the one offer that I did receive. To teach in the top schools, you definitely need at least 5 years of experience (this from a principal).

Unless you have your heart set on CPS, I'd strongly consider some of the surrounding suburbs. Some of the best districts in the area are within a reasonable drive from the city. The Catholic school will be a good start, but keep in mind that years taught in private schools will usually not transfer over to public schools, so you will start at year 1 on the pay scale no matter how long you have taught in private schools.

4. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

I just got hired today for a CPS position. I had NO connections at all. In fact I just moved here. So, it can be done! Hang in there!

5. Sarah2115

Sarah2115 New Member

Aug 5, 2009

Wow!! That is so great! How did you do it? Did you fax/email/snail mail/drop off in person? All of the above?

6. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

Thanks, I actually just e-mailed my resume and a cover letter.

7. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

I'm a recent graduate and have been looking for a position in CPS. I've had a few interviews, but n o job offers. All the interviews were from resumes I either dropped off or mailed in, not from having any connections.

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2009

I'm about to be a 6th year teacher in CPS. I lived in Madison when I first interviewed at CPS and of the four interviews landed a job at the school I felt comfortable at, I landed the job interviews from the job fair, but things were a bit different back then- there were still several principals not willing to hire first year teachers etc. I worked at the school I my job from the fair for 3 years. The school wasn't in the roughest are of Chicago- but it wasn't the gold coast either.

The second job I had in the district was in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

Two years ago I applied to my new school- a very good school and we had a mix of new and seasoned teachers hired. If I had "connections" at this point, it was all through people I knew within the district that had seen me teach. So I'm not sure if that counts.

The CPS market is a bit tougher these days. Especially with the whole turnaround/school closing process that is leaving many veterans out of jobs. Sometimes you have to take a job in one of the tougher areas to get your feet wet and "do your time." That being said, my principal last year hired quite a few first year teachers and I work in a really good school.

9. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I knew people that didn't have connections get cps jobs - they went to the job fairs and went to schools and dropped off resumes.

I'm 29 and went into teaching as a second career and got my masters in education 2 years ago. Taught in Ohio for a year at a charter school and I *finally* broke into CPS after trying for a year and a half from ohio and when i moved up here. I went to the job fair in january and landed basically a long-term sub postion for a teacher on maternity leave in a great school on the north side. Had a great relationship with my principal who went above and beyond to help me find a job - attended job fairs with me, called up principals that he knew, etc. After all that, I got one interview that I BOMBED!! So I started dropping off resumes practically everyday in June to find out there are no openings or I needed a bilingual endorsement, which I don't have.

Then two weeks ago, I get a call for an interview at one of my dream schools. I nailed the interview and got the job on the spot. This school was one I had dropped off my resume to in person in June but since the school is in the same area as my previous school and they knew of eachother, the new principal called up my old principal as a reference before my interview.

Congrats on getting that 2nd grade position! Get your experience in and keep trying with cps.

10. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

Mary I am also from Ohio! I just moved here due to a job my husband got. I taught second grade for two years in Ohio.

11. yaya0712

yaya0712 New Member

Aug 13, 2009

I recently moved here too and to no avail have I gotten any interviews. Wait scratch that, I got ONE job interview and it went well BUT I wasn't certified completely for the position! bah I came from a state that elementary certification is prek-4 and here it only transfers to ec-3 and Ive been noticing they want type 03 not type 04 certification. Even though I'm Bilingual certified I'm still having a tough time finding a job!

12. yaya0712

yaya0712 New Member

Aug 13, 2009

Hey Sarah,
    If you don't mind me asking, is it true the Catholic school pay is way below the 1st year teacher salary in Chicago Public School?

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

I teach for CPS and have always found my jobs through the big job fairs they have. It is competitive so make sure you bring something special and put on your personality! You can do it! I've never had any connections, just myself.

14. chitownteach

chitownteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I also am a career changer. Last year was my first teaching position. I didn't have any connections, but I was also at a charter school, which is definitely less competitive than getting into the actual public schools. I usually drop off my cover letter/resume in person to any posted CPS jobs. I'm pretty much settled on the fact that I may be subbing this year. It's not ideal, but it's better than settling on a rough school.

15. AhoyHoy

AhoyHoy Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

You don't need connections to teach in CPS. I've had one (long-term sub) position and I don't even know how they got my resume! I think I must have dropped it off in their bin at a job fair, because they didn't have any openings for English at the time, so I definitely didn't talk to them in-person. I've also had a handful of interviews from emailing my resume for openings posted in the e-bulletin.

That said, it seems like it's pretty difficult to get a job in CPS right now. They haven't had a single career fair this year, when they usually have about five, if that's any indication of their need for teachers (or, rather, lack thereof). I don't think teaching at a Catholic school will work against you when looking for a job in CPS in the future. Most of the principals I've met (save for a few from schools in the REALLY rough neighborhoods) seem generally open to considering candidates from a variety of backgrounds.

16. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Best of luck to you. It just seems like CPS is going through a tough time right now. They havnt been at any of the job fairs. When asking advisors and others if I should apply their answer was it would be a waste of my time because they litterly are not accepting applications. I would take the Catholic school position for this year and look for something the following year. The economy cannot get much worse than this so we have to hope that CPS will be looking next year. My boyfriend got offered a LTS position in CPS. It sounded wonderful until when we googed the school and saw the neighborhood it was in. I am always up for a challenge, but this was such a bad area they didnt let the PE teacher do many activities outside :/ Good luck to you!