Any chance for new math teachers in NYC?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Chips&Dip, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Chips&Dip

Chips&Dip New Member

Jun 22, 2011

Hi:),

I want to start by saying that I have to admit to creeping all over the website, and find that many of you, who range from "rookies" to veterans in the educational system have incredible and insightful advice. I would like to start off by paying my dues to your experiential insight- thank you.

I joined this forum to ask the many questions that very few sites can answer; which let alone explain, in detail, the gruesome process of becoming a teacher.

I have about a year left of my major requirements before I begin student teaching in New York City. I major in math and minor in Secondary Education. With the constant talk of lay-offs and hire-freezes here in New York, I wanted some real insight from real teachers who are already in the system (or anyone trying to get into the system). I've tried speaking to teachers while observing classes, but nothing is really clarified. They, too, seem confused of the recent commotion in educational politics.

Teachers, is there a big threat to up & coming teachers? Should I be afraid of the political upheaval going on in this city? Is there a chance I will not get hired after graduation (which should be SP 2013)?

As far as post-graduation- any advice on which graduate programs would most benefit a high school teacher? Teachers have told me to get my masters in math. They say it'll benefit when it comes to hiring. I've thought of educational administration (leadership positions like principal, assist. principal, etc.). Any advice will do wonders.

THANKS! to any of you who have read this ginormous paragraph of almost endless rambling:eek:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2011

Hi and welcome from Long Island! I went to St. John's a million years ago, and your program sounds a lot like mine. I student taught at Hillcrest HS in Jamaica.

I have to admit my ignorance about a lot of your questions. (I'm in a Catholic high school on LI.) I know that NYC is currently in the midst of a hiring freeze; I don't know whether or not that includes math-- traditionally an area where it's hard to find teachers. Spend some time on the NYC Board of Ed website to find that info.

And consider non-public schools. I know my husband's Catholic HS hired 2 math teachers for the upcoming school year to replace two retirees. My school is replacing 3 Social Studies teachers this summer (one is moving, one died in a car accident, and a third is in hospice; we've had a brutal year!!!)

So, yes, in this economic climate there is a chance you won't get hired. But the outlook for math teachers is and always has been better than for so many other majors.

Some time soon, visit the Career office of your school and start asking these questions.

(Other things to do this summer: network like crazy. Remind EVERYONE you know that you'll be looking for a math teaching job in 2013. Volunteer in schools if you can-- coach debate or the math team or cheering; anything to be a familiar face.)

Also, start thinking about a professional wardrobe. Let Santa know you'll need an interview suit or two.

I would postpone the grad school until after you've finished that first year of teaching. There's a huge learning curve that first year and it can be exhausting.

4. Chips&Dip

Chips&Dip New Member

Jun 24, 2011

Thank you so much, Alice:)

5. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Jun 27, 2011

Math would be a high needs area, along with science and special ed. You may be able to be picked up as a Teacher's Fellow. NYC may say they are not hiring, but that is not entirely true... New schools are allowed to hire people who are not in the ATR.