Any Chance for My Voice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by engineerkyle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Jan 28, 2012

Morning Friends,

I am a baritone, no soloist, but I can stay in tune if I am careful.

So I'm rehearsing the choir the other night, and a couple of our men are gone. So, I sing the part as I conduct. My whole top register is gone! Any note I try to sing above Middle C cracks, if it comes out at all.

This must be because I've started my internship. I really need some tips on keeping my voice healthy.

Thankx so much

EK

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2012

Lots of fluids, tea with honey, wear scarves to keep your throat warm in cool weather.

Do you find you are yelling, or is it just the amount of talking?

4. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 28, 2012

Something my sister (whose a music teacher) told me that she does and it helped me during student teaching. Warm up in the car on the way to school. Do vocal warm ups / sing along to the radio. Also if you have to use you have to use a "loud" voice if your normal voice is quiet (like mine), make sure you are projecting correctly, as apposed to yelling. I can't describe it, but I bet someone here knows what I'm talking about....

5. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Jan 28, 2012

Just the amount of talking. We have mics, too. The room is very hot. Nothing I can do about that, they love to blast the furnace.

I heard something about what voice to use when talking... like using your chest voice?

6. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 28, 2012

I only understood about three words out of this post. (My issue, not yours, as I have no musical background whatsoever.) But I want to say I hope it gets better for you!

7. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jan 28, 2012

It's kind of how you know when you're singing correctly, there's also a way to speak correctly (or in a way that won't wear you out). For me, I find if I'm speaking too much in my throat, my voice wears out before the end of the day. I have to make a conscious effort to speak from my gut.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2012

Yup. Use your diaphragm to project your voice - even when wearing the mic. It'll help a lot.

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 28, 2012

Yes! thats what I was thinking of...I just couldn't think of the word diaphragm....