any californians not have a teaching job yet?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LunchMeat, Aug 3, 2008.

1. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

ugh. i just received my special ed credential, and the budget crisis is even affecting special ed!! i thought there was so much job security in this nationwide, but there isnt as much as i thought there would be now in california. ive been on over 15 special ed interviews in various districts in los angeles, and still no job offer. i am confident in my interviews, and have answered my questions well. granted i look and am very young, i have as much experience as a 23 year old can have at this time. ive checked out many private schools (whether special ed or not), and many already hired teachers for the upcoming year. ive also applied to 2 charters, but didnt get hired.

i know im not alone on this because other new young teachers in my old sped program havent landed jobs yet. im pretty sure im going to end up subbing which is fine, i just need more income.

if i wasnt in grad school right now, i easily would have left california.

i feel like such a failure because i cant get a special ed job!!! i have the experience (granted not full time teaching experience though because this would be my first full time paid teaching job), confidence, and have hit it off with most of the people that have interviewed me! i was certain that a few of the schools i interviewed at were going to offer me the job right away.

3. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Don't give up. The budget is not set yet for the future jobs, and I know there will be more openings in LA. They are opening more and more special ed classes.
    Do you have mild/moderate or moderate/severe credential?

4. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

hey. mine is in mild/moderate.

yeah my dad has been a sped teacher with lausd since the late 70s. he said to give it till the end of august =/

5. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 3, 2008

Can I ask what part of California you are in?

6. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

los angeles

7. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 3, 2008

Darn, can't help you there. I'm in the Bay Area.

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

There are openings in Castaic and Sulphur Springs (SCV) for special ed.

9. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

I'm in the exact same boat as you! 15 interviews special ed credential and no job!! But I'M OLD!

Did you apply to compton?
    Are you willing to drive to the OC?
    Bellflower?
    Santa Ana?
    Fullerton?
    One can also intern in mod. severe have you thought of that?

10. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

You should feel lucky that you are getting interviews, I am not even getting that. I just moved to LA area. I am a special ed teacher as well and have been teaching for 5 years. How are you contacting the schools if you don't mind me asking.

11. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

hey. i found that looking young has actually hurt me with getting a job. im in grad school right now where the classes start at 4:20, so i need to be wise with the location of schools i interview at (realistically i need to be at my university at 3:45 due to parking).

ive applied to lausd, glendale, burbank, simi valley, and private schools. again, i need to pick based on location.

if i dont get a full time teaching gig based on a location near my university, i will just sub and figure something out from there. im in school right now to become a school counselor and will be done in june 2010 (i do not disclose information to interviewers that i am in this program).

glendale told me that they hiring for a moderate to severe teacher and that they would take mild to moderate candidates if they work on that credential. i had to be honest and say i dont have the time because im already working on my ms, 2 credentials, and a certificate lol.

12. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I am new here, but have been reading the posts. What a wonderful and supportive forum this is. I obtained my credential last June, and alas, have not found a thing. It looks like substitute teaching for me which is frustrating because I want benefits, better pay, to be able to clear my credential, and mostly, I want my own class! It's frustrating because the education professors at my college tend to live in a vacuum, and they told us that there would be a huge demand for teachers in our area. (I live in Northern California). When I asked about the state cutbacks, they waved that question a way and did not want to discuss it--they said it was too negative.
    I have an MA degree and a credential and still, I can't get anyone to even reply to my resume and cover letter.
    It's depressing!

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

I got my credential in January. I've been applying since March and only have had 2 interviews! I'm currently in two applicant pools and am just waiting for a spot to open so I can interview for that...ugh. It really seems hopeless at times. I'm currently residing in Riverside county, and work PT in OC. I'm willing to drive to San Bernadino and parts of LA county too...but no such luck still!
    I'm going to a performance test for a credential technician position I am qualified for. I haven't given up on teaching, but I might as well try to get another job instead of sitting around waiting for nothing!

14. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I am sorry, I am sure something will come up for you.
    Are you subbing at all?
    I know I am going to sound incredibly naive, but I did not expect this. I feel rather stupid for not expecting it, but it seems I was surrounded by people who got hired right out of the program, and usually by the school in which they student taught.
    The school in which I student taught was laying people off due to the budget crisis.

15. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I gave up in LA... I wasn't recieving any phone calls so I decided it was time to look elsewhere. I don't think that having an AZ certificate and still waiting to get word back from the CTC on the CA certification was helping. Anyway, I moved back to AZ and left my husband in CA to get the position I have now (which is a whole story in itself).

Good Luck searching everyone. Hopefully things will start opening up.

16. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I haven't gotten a job. I have a multiple subjects credential and there just does not seem to be any jobs in So Cal for elementary school teachers. I am thinking of adding a science credential but I am not sure I really want to teach in middle or high school. It took me a long time to get my degree and credential and this has been a very disappointing eye opener. I have been subbing the past two years and wish I knew what it takes to get a job :(

17. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

not subbing yet. meeting my lausd recruiter next week to sign the subbing paperwork though. i figure i will just sub until i can get a full time job.

i student taught at 2 schools (1 year period). the first school was a nightmare and they would never hire me lol (trust me, i dont mind!).

loved the 2nd store, but they let go of 1 of their special ed teachers, and was about to make the rsp teacher i worked with half time. so no job offer there.

18. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

lunchmeat I know LAUSD is having a job fair next week on the 14th and the 21st for middle school/high school and some sped elementary positions. It is by invitation only (I am not sure what that means) but you should ask your recruiter about it. I am planning on being there. Hope this helps.

19. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

I heard bad news on the elementary front: I was told by LAUSD HR that they are actually eliminating the elementary level credential from their district intern program because they have no elementary teaching positions open and an overabundance of applicants. My friend who has been teaching elementary at the same LAUSD school for 10 years just wants to transfer to a different (higher performing) school - but can't because there are no openings.

It's so depressing and scary that such a large district has no openings. I so wish I could pass the Math or Science CSET ... perhaps I should start studying ...

to clarify:
    I'm referring to General Ed ... but Special Ed is crowded, too. I've spoken to a few SPED district interns and half their class is still looking for jobs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  20. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Mrs D do you mean there aren't any elementary general ed or sped positions? I talked to a recruiter that said that some elementary schools will be at the job fair looking for SPED teachers. I keep calling the jobline about general ed positions and they say they may have openings mid-end of August and to call back than. There is still hope.

21. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 9, 2008

There is always hope!

22. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

teachinla- yep ive been to all the dysfunctional lausd job fairs lol.

23. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Lunchmeat: Nothing came out of it? When I lived in LA 5 years ago that is how I got my job with LAUSD, I wa hoping for the same results this time around... maybe not :(.

24. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

each time i went, it was a mad house and very disorganized. very few teachers got hired on the spot. i think 2 did when i was there for an hour and a half and i believe they were displaced.

it isnt what it was pre budget cuts.

25. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

This happened with the district I was student teaching in. I heard if you sub there and student teach that is your ticket in. After subbing 2 years and student teaching BOTH assignments there...I get nothing! Just a prelim interview and a spot on their bench to wait for a position to open up to interview for. Yet my friend in another district student taught there, taught summer school there, and now has a position next year...nice. :mellow: