Any bilingual teachers out there?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Tri'nTeacher, May 6, 2006.

1. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

May 6, 2006

Hi all!
    I believe that I will have a position as a bilingual teacher next year in one of the early primary grades. I am now starting to gather quality resources for next year and need guidance. I've been looking at the Estrella program on-line but does anyone else have any other professional resources on how to organize a high quality language arts program?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I searched the forms for a bilingual teachers area but didn't find one so I'm hoping that I am posting this in the right place.

:thanks:

3. Ameliarate

Ameliarate Rookie

May 14, 2006

I have been trying to track down quality resources in Spanish, too. One that might be useful is enchantedlearning.com. Click on Spanish activities. Some are for Spanish as a second language, but there are also some pretty good all Spanish printouts and activities. If you find anything else, especially more advanced Spanish resources (upper grade), please post them. I'm afraid that as more schools cut their bilingual programs, resources in Spanish are also diminishing...

4. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

May 14, 2006

Thanks so much for responding...I was beginning to think I was the only bilingual teacher out there! I totally forgot about enchantedlearning.com....thanks for the reminder! I bookmarked it this morning.
    Everytime I do a search for bilingual resources I end up in a great big circle. I start with CABE and that takes me to USC's Multilingual department, etc., etc.,.....but all I find is links....what I really want is reading research and professional teaching resources for bilingual education. What I want to do is create a quality language arts block for my kids.
    I'll keep searching and if I do find something I will post it. I want to let you know that CABE (http://www.bilingualeducation.org) is going to have a summer workshop in Long Beach. I'm hoping to go and find more resources there.
    Happy searching :)

5. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

I was teaching bilingual special ed this year and decided to go for a general bilingual class. I just got the call today that I rec'd a 1st grade position. Estrellitas is a great program...will you be getting a core program such as McGraw/Hill? My district gets that in spanish as well harcourt math. If you find any other resources, please let us know!
    I think bilingual terachers are hard to find...unless we are chatting in the wrong forum.

6. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

My district uses Houghton Mifflin. It has its strengths and weaknesses. I found these great audio tape books at my school called Elefonetica I'm searching for them on-line as we speak. Carson Dellosa offers some educational products in Spanish based on the four-block program.

Do you get to teach your mathematics curriculum in Spanish? We teach our math in English, which always seems so weird to me. If I was strictly doing worksheets then English might work BUT I like to give word problems, have math talks, and write in math journals.....so Spanish would be ideal.

I'll keep on searching and posting. Oh and I will be in first grade as well! :D

7. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

8. Ameliarate

Ameliarate Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

Sorry to butt in, but I got e-mailed about this post. It's a shame that math is taught in English, because we've found that teaching it in Spanish means students aren't negotiating English AND math concepts. My kids often outperform other kids in math (including EO's), even though the state test is in English.

Tri'n, you posted earlier that you're hoping to go to the CABE conference in Long Beach. Is that the dual immersion conference? If so, I'm hoping to have my district send me down (our school is trying to move from early exit to dual immersion--we're excited but terrified!) If it's the same event, maybe I'll see you--although I would never know it was you...

9. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

Hi Amelia,
    I wanted to go to the CABE conference but because the focus is dual immersion I don't think that my district will pay for it. I would love to just walk the exhibitor hall and see all of the bilingual supplies available. You'll have to let me know about any must have resources for first grade!

Thanks!

10. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

Hello all! I'm hoping to get a bilingual first grade classroom for next year as well. I just had my demo lesson on Wed, and I think it went well. Thanks for the information you have posted, I'm also looking around for materials just to see what's out there, and just in case I get the job.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2006

12. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

Thanks TeacherGroupie, I had some similar information that my University supervisor gave me from when she was in school --in the 70's! It was typewritten in an actual typewriter!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2006

Yeah, well, we did do the actual-typewriter thing in those days... Antediluvian, I know.

14. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

Thanks for the links! I'm amazed at the amount of cognates found....just goes to show that our ELL's can make a smooth transition into English academic language. High expectations and explicit instruction....need I say more :D

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2006

Well, that and noting that a good deal of academic language comes to us courtesy of Latin, which can safely be called the mother of all Romance languages...

Speaking of cognates, check out THE BIG RED BOOK OF SPANISH VOCABULARY. It's designed for English-speaking learners of Spanish, but there's no reason not to reverse-engineer it, no?

16. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Jun 24, 2006

I taught it in english because my students were all on the verge on exiting the program...it wasn't really a true bilingual classroom. We had to do everything in spanish, but my class was also special ed so I was able to bend the rules. I am very excited about teaching first grade. We had a short, one day introduction to the estrellitas program a few weeks ago. It was great, there are a lot of songs and cheers that go along with it...I am on the hunt for activities and books in spanish. Have you found any sites that carry a wide variety of spanish posters, charts, and bulletin boards?

17. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Jun 24, 2006

Pam1212:

Carson Dellosa has some spanish posters and charts, check their website. Trend Enterprises has a pretty complete calendar set: http://www.trendenterprises.com/ProductLrg.cfm?ItemID=T-1846

I'm not big into posters so I haven't really searched for Spanish posters.

If you find any other links PLEASE post! :D

18. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 25, 2006

19. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Jun 25, 2006

That link doesn't work for me....:(

20. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

Tri'n Teacher, try teachers-pet.com, this worked for me. This site is great...thanks a lot Sofiluv!!

21. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

You're welcome!

Sorry about the broken link Tri'nTeacher!